I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic black thread?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:58AM

OK...A metallic black (#9001) thread question.

Has anybody used it? How does it look?

I've become enamored with the metallic threads...Used royal blue on my most recent steelhead rod...with the blue forecast ceramic insert guides.....Ooooooooo! Hot!

Anyway...I've been asked to build a steelhead rod for a friend's son. Tod would be the matte clear. Was thinking about using the metallic black thread on all the guides...probably no trim wrap.

Would do the butt wrap with a ring of the 9001...then a longer section of orange (non-metallic 0221) then another ring of 9001. Would use a black Decal Connection decal...place it over the orange.

Anyway....that is the current plan. Always subject to change...

What do you think?

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic black thread?
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 01:12AM

Sulky Metallic Black #142-7051 might be worth checking out. Make a wrap & test it out. Stan

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 01:22AM

I've used both the Gudebrod A and Sulky black metallics. Like Stan, I'd give the Sulky a slight nod; the gudebrod is really just fine, though. I like the black metallic a lot and use it when I need black in there all of the time, but I'm a metal head, anyhow-sounds like yer gittin' there, too...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 15, 2006 06:32AM

Keith, I've used gudebrod and Rice black metallic thread, and like them both. If I had to chose I'd probably pick the Rice thread...it just seems to come off the thread spool better.....of course I'm sure it's just me.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:39AM

Keith,
Guess I'm like Putter, I use a lot of metalics of all colors and brands. I build a lot of bass rods and I just can't get the right glitz from any thing else. I particularly use the black, it always comes out great. Metalics need no CP and cover with rodfinish smooth and clear.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:42AM

If you are going to mix orange with the black metallic you might want to consider testing the following. Orange is a pretty dull thread and hard to pack to keep from splotching. If you underwrap the area to be covered in orange with a silver metallic it really glitzes up the effect of the orange.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:10AM

I've used the Black on a coupel of rods, as underwraps & for Stars in butt wraps. the difference between Metallic black & black nylon on the underwrap is the Nylon disappears into the blank, and the metallic black looks like an Onyx gemstone.

For butt wraps, I'll never use the metallic black again. Nylon lays much flatter, and is much, much easier to pack. The difference in the way the wrap looks when completed, for me has been the Nylon comes out much better. CP on Black metallic, for me has been a nightmare with crystals forming all over teh thread, since it doesn't soak in at all. Again, for me, Black Nylon on my butt wraps.

Posted by: Sam Schalley (---.adobe.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:26AM

I have used both Gudebrod A and Sulky black metallics and prefer Sulky over Gudebrod. IMO, in general, Sulky metallics stay together better and are easier to wrap.

- Sam

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 03:00PM

Bill Stevens...Great Idea! I might try that!

Thanks,

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster