I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Export question
Posted by: aaron laird (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 05:56PM

Had a guy from France contact me today regarding a custom rod project. I have never sold to anyone in another country and was wondering what paperwork, if any, is required for the sale and shipment of a rod to an overseas destination. Also, what precautions should you take when dealing with a cross-currency transaction? Thanks for your advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Export question
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:06PM

When you are ready to ship just go to the Post Office and they will have all the paperwork you need.
Make sure you tell your client they are responanble for any French fees or tariffs.

Christian

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:17PM

Hi Aaron,

Doing business out of country can be a pain but if you handle it right most of the pain can be handled. Shippings not all that much of a problem other than to package you produce with rough handling involved. You need to fill out a customs form and check to see if there is any import tax that has to be paid.

The biggest problem is payment. Check with your Post Office and see if they accept Postal Money Orders from France. If they do then have your buyer get a Poastal MO made out in U.S. curr. If U.S. Post Office won't take a Postal MO from France than check with your bank and see if they charge a forgien exchange fee (my local banks charge $25.00 per transaction). If they do than you have to figure that into the price. Also ask them what form of payment they prefer (some banks will not take foriegn personal checks or can take weeks/months to clear).

Hope this helps.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:19PM

Be sure to check any shipping restrictions, such as length, before you ever start.
Airmail Parcel Post is the most economical way to ship, but there may be length limits.
Also, suggest payment in full via bank transfer.
Ask your bank how that will work, there is usually a fee to you for doing that.
We now ask for Pay Pal, and that gets credited to us within a few hours of their payment.
Make good notes about everything that is said, and if not sure, ask again!
Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: terry l. miller (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:24PM

Just be careful with overseas orders there are a lot of scams out there. One of the other forums I frequent had a discussion on it here is a link.

[www.penturners.org]

Good luck.

Terry Miller

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 09:59PM

One other very important thing about Payment:

If you take a check, make sure your bank will accept foreign checks (smaller banks and credit unions may not). If they do - it will take about 2 weeks to clear.

If you are setup to take credit cards, make sure you merchant account company will take foreign cards (they may handle most Euro countries, but most will not take African, Indo, or former Soviet country cards because of fraud).

Christian

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:43AM

Money orders in US dollars by American Express or Western Union should available in most countries and are easy to cash,let's put it this way I've ordered a lot of stuff from the internet where an online credit card transaction wasn't possible have never had a problem .
Regards Charlie

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 01:43AM

Overseas shipping does makes little economical sense for any small volume custom rod builder, IMO. What advantage is there?

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:58AM

Dear Aaron,

I would arrange payment via credit card. Customs declaration is easy to handle at the post office a slong as you just do shipping of rod building equipment. The only problem I had once was with overlength, I intended to order a 10'6 2 piece blank from the US what did not work because of the stated reason. On top I would be very careful if it comes to fly tying material from natural sources (feathers, hairs e.t.c.) what could be - besides of the bird flue issue - a serious problem.

Dear Stan,

if you would imagine whats available here (f.e. in Germany) in regard of rodbuilding you would start to cry because it is just a small percentage what is available in the US. I am also one of these overseas customers and to be honest it worked fine with me with the two companies I' am dealing with (both mentioned on the left). Payment via credit card, easy peasy.

RGDS,
Ole

Ellerau/Germany

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:54AM

When I sell items to International customers I add 10USD and only except payment thru pay pal. I also add 20 dollars to shipping becasuse it can be such a pain in the @##.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster