I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing/thinning dried thick epoxy
Posted by: Leonard Becker (204.182.125.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 02:08PM

I inherited a rod that had guides re-wrapped by the previous owner. He did not do a very good job of wrapping--he applied very thick and uneven epoxy over the threads of the rod guides. The dried/cured epoxy is very thick in some places (in excess of 1/16 inches and up to 1/8 inch thick in some spots), and the epoxy was unevenly applied.

Sometimes I have two left feet/hands, and so I am afraid that if I apply heat to melt/soften the epoxy, I may damage the blank.

Is there an alternative to heating, maybe sanding down the dried epoxy until it reaches a desired thickness and smoothness? Most of the archives on this board seem to discuss the heating option.

thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing/thinning dried thick epoxy
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 02:16PM

I'm just guessin, but if he did that bad of a job, he may have done just as bad a job on the thread. I think that I would do a complete rewrap. Heat from a hair dryer or small heat gun should not be any problem as long as you keep the heat source moving. I warm up the guide wrap and with the guide facing up, I use a single edge razor blade held horizontally against the guide foot and cut from the edge of foot to the guide leg, staying on top of the foot so that you can't accidentally cut into the blank. Pull the guide off and hit with a little heat and you should be able to actually unwind the wrap. Any left over residue can usually be scraped off with a finger nail or back edge of a plastic knive or burnishing tool

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2006 02:18PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:52PM

I re-built a rod my Grandfather just couldn't do without Christmas before last. What prompted me to build it for him was a re-tie on a guide he had broken. He and I live a couple hours apart so he carried it to a local tackle shop for a new guide. Not only did the guy put on a guide with a blue shock ring (complete 180 from what the other guides on this rod looked like), but he finished it with 5 minute epoxy! I use 5 minute on my tip tops so I know what a pool of it looks like when cured. This wrap was completely covered with bubbles (millions of them) and wasn't exactly the most level finish I've ever seen. You should have seen the thread work underneath.

Do yourself a favor and to a complete re-wrap. In the end you'll be much more satisfied knowing you did it and it was done right.

Jay

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.252.77.1.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 05:57PM

A friend of mine wanted me to redo a Fenwick HMG flyrod someone built for him.The finish job was the worst I've everseen.It looked like the ice does on a lake when the wind piles it up.I tried scraping it off.Several thinners/solvents.Nothing seemed to work.I tried a little heat from a heat gun and the rod got soft and broke in two.
The guy understood and had me order a new kit to build for him.I redid a All Star rod of mine last year and did not have much trouble.I think if you use color preserver it makes it much easier to tear down and start over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster