I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static test and simple spiral help needed
Posted by: Lyman Yee (67.189.60.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:40PM

I'm going through the static guide placement for a 10' moderate action steelhead casting rod that I plan to simple spiral wrap. I already have 10 guides above the ferrule and just two below. Under a heavy load, the line just barely touches the blank at two spots roughly a foot and a half above the ferrule. But when I load test with the guides pointing down, I'm very happy with how the line follows the blank's curvature. Since this is how the rod will be used, (spiral wrapped, guides down), should I worry about the line touching the blank under load while the guides are up? I could add another guide, but 13 guides on a 10' med-light rod just seems excessive. Any words of wisdom?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static test and simple spiral help needed
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:04PM

You're on the right track. I'd take what you have now and flip them over and go with it. No need to add more guides. Flip them all except the butt guide, go back and add one low frame guide at 90 degrees, halfway between the first two and take it fishing. You'll love it. I think you have enough guides, for the very reasons you mention.

Posted by: Lyman Yee (67.189.60.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:14PM

It sure does seem like enough guides. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:01AM

Lyman,
I would not worry about the line touching the rod in a couple of places if I were you.
The number and position of the guides should be mainly to uniformly distribute the stress that will be placed on the rod in use. In my judgment using enough guides so that the line does not touch the blank when the blank is at the max. deflection results in too many guides. The reasoning behind using enough guides and positioning them so that the line does not touch the blank was to insure that there would be no friction between the line and the rod. But if you think about it when the rod is at its max. deflection the line is not moving. The line starts to move when the rod starts to straighten when casting and when playing a fish. So if the line is not moving at max. deflection there cannot be any friction between the line and the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster