I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best reel seat for fly rods
Posted by: Art Jessup (---.wasilla.mtaonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 06:11PM

I need your opinions guys on the best reel seat for fly rod. Rod I'm building I might use it in saltwater. Which of these makers do you guys like? Recoil Struble, Pacific Bay or American Tackle?? Right now I leaning towards ones made by Recoil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best reel seat for fly rods
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 08:11PM

Hi art. REC(recoil) has some great seats as well as struble. You can't go wrong. with these guys. Tom

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 09:18PM

Art,

Depends entirely on your definition of 'best'.

If you want holding power and light weight, then the graphite seats with the cushioned hoods are far and away the 'best'.

If you want an all metal seat with lots of strength, then the 'channel lock' seats from Pac Bay are tough to beat.

If you want 'pretty', then you have a myriad of options, but understand that adding 'pretty' often entails a trade off in other areas like strength, durability, and such. Nothing wrong with that, a long as you know it going in.

Up to you, of course.

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:57PM

For saltwater, best to me means corrosion resistance, and nothing would be better than titanium. Next in line would be high tech plastics, which would include powder coats or epoxy paints on stainless or aluminum. Marine grade stainless would be suitable, but will require cleaning. Can't put it away wet too many times or issues will develop. Anodized aluminum is similar.

Lots of materials and coatings will work just fine if you throughly rinse and dry them after EVERY USE. Know that will NEVER happen. Sooner or later, it get's missed, and you can have a problem overnight with anything chrome. With titanium or plastics you can just rinse off the dry salt and no harm done.

The other issue for me is, big reel requires a seat that will stay tight when fighting big fish.

So I would start by selecting the best materials first, then see which manufacturers have the best locking designs with those materials. Then select a size that fits the reel you will use. Then look at the price, save your money until you have enough, and don't compromise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2006 10:59PM by Tim Stephens.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:58PM

I like the way the Struble U15 and U18 fit the feet of my saltwater reels. I have used REC seats on a lot of saltwater rods as well, and some ChannelLocks. I have never had a probelm with any reel seat. Wish I could say that about the reels.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 12:05AM

Art,
I second Buddy's advice. I use pretty seats on customer rods and use the cushioned hood graphite skeleton seats on my own. I just like the way they tighten securely regardless of the reel used.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an1.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 07:05AM

I second the suggestion to try the Struble U15. It's a great seat for saltwater applications when you don't want to spend a fortune on a titanium seat (and if, like me, you can't bring yourself to use cheap plastic seats no matter how practical they might be).

Posted by: Art Jessup (---.wasilla.mtaonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:03AM

Thanks for all the info guys...

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 05:57AM

I uee REC they make reel seats for a lot of the top rod makers. Never had a problem with this product.
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster