I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HOW A ECSM (EXPOSED TRIGGER) REEL SEAT SHOULD FIT ??
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:53AM

Dear all,

I am about to build up a trigger rod with the a.m. reel seat. To be on the safe side I ordered two, one with inner diameter of 13,5mm, one with 13,0mm innr diameter. How the should fit to the blank? The bigger one slides down one seatlength behind the planned position, the other one stops two inches "too early" if you let him slide by gravity.

So how the fitting should be in the middle area where the blank is exposed, tight, snugly, loose... ???

I intend to make the bushings in the front as well as in the rear area with dry wall (fiber glass) tape, which I used in the past already for the installation of a fly reel seat.

All comments welcome.

RGDS,
Ole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW A ECSM (EXPOSED TRIGGER) REEL SEAT SHOULD FIT ??
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:13AM

The fit at the opening should be snug with no gaps. I would ream the tighter one out to fit, if possible.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 12:47PM

Jan-Ole,
If the reel seat drops down with just gravity to within two inches of where you want it then I suspect it is about the right size. When you put epoxy on the blank it should easily slide the additional two inches.
If not just take a rasp and increase the inside diameter slightly, mostly at the butt end. I have done this with many, many of blank exposed reel seats. You want them to fit snug. Not so tight that there is any danger of crushing the blank but still pretty snug. As long as you can still twist or rotate them a little to line then up then they are not too tight.

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 02:40PM

Both Emory and Mike have gave you good directions. One thing I would consider doing is making a bushing from cork or use a graphite arbor. Because you have to make the rear bushing first, slide the seat down to that bushing and then make the front bushing. I found it very easy to turn down a cork ring on a lathe and ream it out to fit both the blank and the seat for the front bushing.

Steve

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 03:18PM

Agree, ream the smaller to fit. I used the Fuji bushing for the rear and just filled the front with epoxy. Nice tight seamless fit at the exposed blank area.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 05:28PM

Ream smaller to fit is the way to go. One little extra thing. If this is a graphite seat with no coating you will be fine. If it happens to be one of the new seats like the Forecast Textured seat be extra carefull when reaming. The texture coating will not ream out as particles and more than likely will leave a thin sheet like lip that you may or may not notice until you slide it in place. Be sure to check the window area to be sure that this thin sheet is properly trimmed off before sliding into place. It is almost impossible to trim this up after the fact without damaging the blank.

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster