I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.kingtx.interconnect.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 08:28AM

I just purchased some decals from Mudhole. What is the procedure to remove the decal from the backing and placing on rod? I thought the decals would come with directions and I have no information on decals at all. This will be my first use ever with decals.
Marvin Engel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 09:06AM

if your talkin about the fish decals remove the bottom.... place were you want on the blank smooth with finger.... peel the top and your done...........the other ones i will take my exacto knife get the corner carefully up peel off and place..........

Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.kingtx.interconnect.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 09:51AM

Robert,
I appreciate the information. I did not want to ruin any of the decals I purchased. I have 5 decals to place on 5 new rods I am building for my clients to use on fishing charters. Thanks for your response.
Capt. Marvin Engel
Big M's Fishing Charters

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 12:44PM

With a sharp pair of mini-scissors cut off the excess clear film around the perimeter of the fish graphic, as close as you can get it. Clear film around the graphic is an invitation for visible air/bubbles to be captured under the clear film, ruining the appearance. Clean the blank off with alcohol, and CAREFULLY apply the decal (the adhesive sticks and if you then pull = stretches distorts). Place a piece of paper over the decal and burnish if by rubbing on the paper, not the decal. I then apply a thin coat of thinned color presever to prevent the finish from attacking the adhesive and causing the decal to lift. Once cp has dried apply finish as usual (this is the only instance I ever use CP on a rod).

Added note: I use a propane torch flame the finish to remove bubbles and I do not directly apply heat to the decal. Heat may cause the decal to left or distort.

Lou

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 12:47PM

Sometimes I have a hard time peeling off just the top translucent layer and leaving the fish decal in place...I often have to get between the layers making sure the decal stays down and hold it there with the tip of an exacto knife before peeling off the rest of the top layer. Furthermore, that top coat layer has irridesicent qualities, so I've gotten to the point where I carefully cut out the Exact shape of the fish through the top layer, peel off the back layer, making sure to not tread alot on the very tip/mouth of the fish decal (or any pointy parts) which will remove the stick-um and allow it to rise at the most inappropriate time, say when fin. coating with flex coat. (thats all I use) Now before I apply the decal I clean the surface with denatured alcohol, and after application I burnish the decal making sure to burnish the edges well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster