I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie question
Posted by: Jeff Hanlon (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 04:30PM

First, thank you to all on this forum. With your great information, and a book by Art Scheck, I have completed my first fly rod. Forecast 8'6" 5wt.
My question is this: I have removed damaged guides from two casting rods. I cleaned up the blank as best I can. There are some blemishes that I wish to hide. I am going to mount the new guides on top of an under wrap. One is a dark blank with just a hint of brown. I used dark brown for the under wrap. Do I finish over those threads then tie on top or do I add the guides now? I plan to use a lighter shade of brown (Fenwick Brown) and gold accent wraps.
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff Hanlon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie question
Date: February 11, 2006 05:41PM

Maybe I was not very clear. I am looking for a two tone affect under a two foot casting guide. Do I finish over the bottom thread field or can I just go ahead and wrap the guide on and finish over the whole thing?
Thanks,
JH

Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 06:03PM

if i read you right i would apply a coat of cp on underwrap.when dry add guides and cp.when this dries add finish this should preserve the integrity of both colors.thanks joe

Date: February 11, 2006 06:19PM

I don't have a ton of expirience, but I like the more tanslucent looking wrap. Would it look OK if I did not use CP? Would the thread be more translucent and just transition from brown to dk brown, to very dk brown blank?
Maybe your suggestion of CP is right, Thanks, Joe
JH

Posted by: kim nordblad (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: February 11, 2006 06:29PM

Hi Jeff.
Why dont use lets say metallic gold for the underwraps then very light brown on the guidewraps?
The metallic thread will shine thrue if you put only the epoxy on, no color preserver.
It would look like the light nylonbrown was "glowing" in the sunlight.
Brown and gold looks "classic" in my opinion, I like the look very mutch
I put a very thin coat of epoxy finish or permagloss on the metallic underwrap. Makes it easier to wrap over when the thread dosen´t dig in the underwrap.
Thanks.
-Kim-

Date: February 11, 2006 06:45PM

Wow, that sounds like a great idea too. Thanks, Kim.
tight lines JH

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 07:51PM

Kim has given you the "ticket" run a band of thin gold thread as an underwrap and then a medium brown (or maroon) with no CP. The metallic will hide blemishes and the top thread will indeed "sparkle"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster