I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Second Largest??????
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:29PM

Just found out that the National Rod Show is actually not the largest rod building event, at least not in terms of having the largest number of "dedicated" rod builders attending! Seems another event has already "shaped up" as having the greatest numbers of "dedicated" rod builders on hand. LOL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Second Largest??????
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:38PM

Gosh, I don't think that's possible. Between the people IN the booths and the people attending I don't know of another show that comes close to having as many knowledgeable people in attendance.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:43PM

Nonsense!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:50PM

Well that's probably just a play on words. At the National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte, we draw over 1,000 rod builders from all over the world. I would think that builders who come in from foreign nations or even have to drive or fly in from hundreds of miles away would be considered "dedicated" rod builders. Maybe not. Depends on how you define the word, I guess.

I do know is that this is the largest gathering of custom rod builders in the world. It was in 2004, it was again in 2005, it will be in 2006 and it will be again in 2007 and beyond. And I doubt that any of the vendors really care if the builders buying their wares are dedicated or non-dedicated rod builders. The end result is the same.

Aside from the National Rod Builders Show being the very largest rod building event, the numbers alone aren't really what makes it special. It's a combination of so many builders plus all the rod building supply manufacturers and dealers, plus the many excellent educational seminars and demonstrations, plus the general camraderie and sharing of information and techniques that takes place when you get such a fantastic gathering of rod builders together from all over the world.

For all I know, it may well be that none of the 1,000+ builders that attend this year are what somebody might term "dedicated" builders, All I know is that they will be in Charlotte in two weeks, buying, learning, sharing and having a great time. Besides, between Andy Dear, Sammy MIckel and a few others I know will be there, I'm postive the National Rod Builders Show is the largest gathering of "bald" rod builders in the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2006 03:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:56PM

Maybe you're thinking National Rod Building - "hot rods" as in cars? I've been to several of those too... (and I'm definitely on the 'fast track' for joining the "bald: crew LOL)

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 02:01PM

this should be renamed to the INTERNATIONAL rod builders show

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 02:14PM

I am SHOCKED, absolutely flabagasted and almost beyond words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TK does have a sense of humor

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 02:19PM

I have not been to Charlotte or any other rodbuilding shows so I'll bite -

Shawn what show do you feel is the largest?

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2006 04:01PM

Sammy has taken offense and informed me that he still at least a little hair left. So he's asked me to substitute his partner, Rodney Powell, as one of our bald attendees. Not sure if Joe Emig is bald or just shaves his head, but I really do believe that the Charlotte event will feature more bald/clean shaven rod builders than any other event anywhere in the world.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 05:45PM

Just something I read and got a chuckle out of. I'm thinking of having my own rod building event in upstate New York in 2009. It's already shaping up as the largest gathering of henpecked husband rod builders in history!

Posted by: John T. White (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 08:01PM

Good promotion makes good sense. Outlandish promotion doesn't make good sense. It's not hard to judge accuracy by past performances.

Having attended last year's Rod Builders Show in Charlotte, I have no trouble believing the advertising that promotes it as the world's largest rod building event. Seeing is believing. Similar claims made by others do seem a bit outlandish when past performances are considered.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 11:16PM

Any event where you can learn something new and positive is worthwhile, IMO. For what I've learned at the Charlotte Show, and I've been to two, it's by far the very best continuing education rodbuilding event ever conceived. That is not to say that other venues don't have their positive value as well, they certainly do very good educational things - all of them, including NERBS. (had to throw that in, Billy - no offense).

But there's nothing quite like the Charlotte Show, thanks to T. K.'s ideas/initiative/planning.

Stan

Posted by: Alan Sewell (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 09:47AM

All the shows are good including the many fine Rodcrafter seminars going back about 30 years now. You would be hard pressed not to benefit from any rod building seminar or show within your ability to travel.

I will say that the show in Charlotte has set a completely new standard for rod building events. The size and quality of it does make it something special. It is the one rod building event I don't mind traveling long distance to attend. Well worth the time and trouble. It's defintely a cut above and something the other show promotors can look to and learn from.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:54AM

James A Sewell - You were in Charlotte last year?

We need nametags.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 01:54PM

He said he was in an email to me...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Alan Sewell (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 05:49PM

Yes I was-----------YOU SHOWED ME HOW TO GET THE STARS IN THE BLUE AREA OF A UNITED STATES FLAG WRAP!!! Aren't you the dude with the funky Fu-Manchu thing going on????

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 06:55PM

ZAPP! Alan Sewell for President!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:07PM

Add me to the Bald count!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster