I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Q? for Mick McComesky
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:51AM

Mick, your photo of the "Tensioners" where there are six spools of thread............ is each tensioner a homemade rig? If yes, where did you get the springs and what is the component make up . I think I have a pretty good idea just from the photo. I have been using some Trilobal Polyester from Coats and Clark. It is in one of the larger, longer spools. I have two simple Calvin Portable rod wrappers and the spool will not quite fit. So I have been using the old stand by thread through a book. It works but is a cumbersome pain in the behind. I would like to make something simple and functional for wrapping with these bigger spools. No need to re-invent the wheel if someone has an blueprint I'd be a willing recpient. Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q? for Mick McComesky
Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.157.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 03:53AM

Steve,

Might be best emailing Mick directly, I know he has been real busy lately and doesn't get to visit RBO as much as he would like.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.86.136.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 07:51AM

Myles, quite true. Busy as a one-eyed cat watching two mouseholes. It was 4 mouseholes, so it's getting better!

Steve, The lower "clamp" section is the tensioner from my Netcraft wrapper. [www.jannsnetcraft.com] The vinyl thread tube was replaced with a tip section of a broken rod and the spool clamp was replaced with the new holder, which is a pre-drilled 8" straight bracket, 6" x 1/4" carriage bolts, nuts, 1" washers, 1/2" nylon spacers, springs and some wing nuts. I got all the parts at Home Depot or Lowes... one of the big stores, but the same parts can be found at Sears. I have since replaced the wing nuts with squeeze on binder clips. The wing nuts liked to wander, even with the nylon spacers, so I was readjusting tension far too often. The clips also make changing spools a breeze and do not move at all once on. You can get a good look at the clips on an even simpler tensioner made by Bill Stevens here [www.rodbuilding.org]

You could easily get by with 4" bolts or even 3". No real rules, just make sure that you allow room for a spring. Take a spool of thread with you, and find the springs you want first. It's all cake from there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 07:54AM

Here is the same thing done a little differently. Just springs putting pressure on the spools of thread. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster