I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal application
Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 07:12PM

I've read the previous post regarding the decals from D.C. I purchased a few of the new waterslides. What are micro set and micro sol and what are their purposes? I read the directions for both on the D.C site, but don't see an explanation for them.

Also, when applying the Flex Coat light should I just coat the area where the decal will go or should I simply apply it to the entire circumference of the blank?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal application
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 07:19PM

Is the blank glossy? If it is, no finish is nec.

The microset gets the surface prepped for the waterslide to go on; water should be put on the area right before applying the decal, too.

The microsol is put on after the decal is placed. It makes the edges of the decals just disappear. Modelers use the microsol for placing decals over uneven surfaces; it makes the decal smooth over rough surfaces. Once microsol is put on the decal, don't rub it; it is very soft and tender until the solution dries.

[home.comcast.net]

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 07:25PM

Gary
I found that the Micro set allowed me to move my decal around to locate it where I wanted it without it I the decal was sticking where I placed it and there seemed to be no way I could keep it wet enough using just water that would allow the decal to move. I did not need the micro sol and from what the guy at the hobby shop told me putting a decal on a smooth surface I would not need it. If you need to get some most any hobby shop will carry it.
Allen Madsen
San Jose, CA

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:08PM

I use something I never use elsewhere on a rod - color preserver.

Soak the decal as instructed, put a drop or two over the area the decal is going to go on, then side the decal onto the cp/blank. The cp allows you to slide the decal around for final adjustments. Once its where you want it drape the plastic bag the decal came in over the decal and burnish the decal to flatten it out and get the cp from under it. Let set for a few minutes. Come back with a moist paper towel and gently clean up excess cp that oozed out from under the decal. Let dry overnight, coat with finish as usual. I get no edge shadow showing. Yes, finish around the entire circumference.

Lou

Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2006 09:05AM

Thanks guys. Lou, you basically use CP in place of Micro set, correct? Any type of CP will work?

Gary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster