I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unified Wheel/Guide Polishing
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 07:00PM

Would this wheel used for polishing/finish prep work on guides after they're shaped be able to 'glue up' on a side disc-style grinding attachment on my 1" belt sander?

Putter
Williston, ND

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unified Wheel/Guide Polishing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2006 07:39PM

Probably. You could most likely use some RodBond to glue one face to your attachment and then use the other face for guide finishing work. You'd just have to make sure to get it glued up nice and true or you'll have a tremendous "wobble" thing going on there.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:50PM

Hi Putter,

I'd use contact cement to glue that piece on that way if you needed to remove it you could. A little laquor thinner and the pad will come right off.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: February 10, 2006 11:25PM

Thanks for the replies; also, what diameter is this unified wheel? I believe the side disc on my belt sander is a 5"...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 11:29PM

Randy the one i have is about 3.5",but it is worn but I do not think it was New

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2006 09:34AM

3 or 4 inches. Bingham has the really good ones - the ones best suited for this type of work. I know she went to one heck of a lot of trouble to hunt down the right model.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 09:51AM

Mine came from Bingham and is three inches in diameter, one half inch wide and mounted on a shaft. You can run it in an electric drill if you want although I use mine with my lathe most of th time. I think it would be a bit awkward using one attached to your disc attachment although possible.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: February 11, 2006 04:21PM

Thanks for the ideas/responses. I'll just get one and go from there, I guess. I was thinking it would be so nice to have all of this right at one station and be able to go right from grinding to polishing each guide before removing the plastic nut and bolt from each (just have to buy some more of them if doesn't work, I guess).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:22PM

I got a Delta sharpening system. It has a 5" dia. by 3" face high rpm grinding wheel and a 7" hoizontal low rpm wet sharpening wheel. The grinding wheel is 140 grit, and too agressive for little guide feet, but the sharpening wheel is good for grinding. I have been thinking just like Putter. I want to mount a burnishing wheel on that 5" wheel so I can grind and deburr and finish all at one station. I have thought about just using ultra fine automotive finishing discs glued to the side of the wheel. But hearing here about the unified wheel, I think it best to try to find one of 5" diameter made to mount to the arbor on my machine. Then I will have a sweet set up for fast shaping and finishing the guides, plus can remount the grinding wheel for sharpening my chisels.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:09AM

For what it's worth, I have decided I will take the ultra fine grey ScotchBrite pad and cut and glue it to the side of my grinding wheel. At high rpm that should do a fine job of deburring and polishing to a water break surface. I will report on how it goes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster