I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Thread?
Posted by: Greg Wegener (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 07:35PM

What is your favorite name brand thread for guide wraps, and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Thread?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:06PM

My favorite metallic is Sulky, as to regular thread I really don't have one.

DR

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:08PM

Greg,
I prefer Gudebrod NCP (or any other NCP for that matter) because I apply a "flood coat" on the guide wraps allowing the fnish to soak in around the foot. Using nylon or Madeira requires a coat or two of CP which prevents the finish from soaking in properly. I routinely use NCP, nylon, metallic and Madiera on everything else. Just the way I do it. Randy.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:13PM

I have use about every brand of thread out there and have good luck with almost all and all sizes given different circumstances. Sometime I use one to get a certain look or for a specific color. I predominately use Gudebrod Size A for the guides because it is easy to get and easy to pack but like I said they all work just fine. Silk threads may be the least user friendly. Madeira is a bit harder to pack than most but can be used with great results.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:41PM

I, like Doc, use the Gudebrod. I do flyrods so I always go no cp except for trim wraps.I hope in the future they will expand their color choices though. Tom

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:25PM

I like Gudebrod A and Sulky mettallics. I'm fast becoming hooked on Madeira Polyneonbecause of the 330 colors. I ALWAYS use CP except when I'm trying to match a guide wrap on a factory rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:23PM

Why is silk less user friendly? Is it more difficult to apply, or weaker once on the guides?

Erik

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:49PM

I pretty much use Madeira Polyneon 40 exclusively anymore ( I build mostly flyrods), Like Mike I use cp on my wraps and I also like the large color selection.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 11:25PM

Hi Erik
It seems to be more oval than round and it also abraids easier and can get fuzzy if you are rough with it. I really think the whole strengh issue is a none problem in most cases with any thread. By the time you turn it over the foot of the guide 30 or more times it will hold up to plenty of pressure, unless you are fishing 100# with 60 lbs of drag. I have used it but I am just more careful with it.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 05:18AM

Madeira for color and guide wraps on lighter tackle...out of habit and some deep nagging "common sense" bug in my head, I use Gudebrod, Holland, or Robinson nylons for guide wraps on heavy SW tackle. (finish penetration in the thread etc.....)

Posted by: Jim Wilson (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 09:32AM

I enjoy working with holland thread, there astros and twists. They add unique colors to rods.
Jim Wilson

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:52PM

I've never met a thread I didn't like - except those that are coated with silicones (and fisheye) or those that are not "tight braids" such as those used for emboidery on hat bands which stretch when finish is applied.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster