I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scratched Blanks?
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:36PM

I got three blanks in today that where scratched. Is there anything I can do to them to polish it out? I don't fell that I can present these to someone.
Thanks for your help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scratched Blanks?
Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:48PM

Micheal, your best bet, is to send them back to the vendor, provided that they are not closeouts, of 2nds. I guess, If I don't get what I pay for I send them back. Another word, is to work only with reputable dealers, most will have no problem with replacing them using the warranty. If no warranty you are probably out of luck.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:49PM

Michael,

Why not return them? The vendor should know that scratched blanks are unacceptable, and that you expect to get what you paid for.

Jim

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:56PM

Sometimes the way blanks are packaged is what causes the problem.If they werent in the bags or were allowed to rub together during shipping place the blame on the dealer.If they were in the bags then its a good bet the blanks were scratched before shipping.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 06:05PM

Yes Fred I think the blanks were damaged during shipment due to the rubbing against the tube.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 06:28PM

Boy, this will be an off the wall answer to this thread. At present I prize blanks that have had all the finish removed. Lamiglas is presently featuring a "polished" blank that has absolutely no finish at all. The dull "sanded" appearance will not scratch at all and will match almost any thread color that you desire to use. I don't know what kind of blanks you have but one simple solution would be to send Todd Vivian an email and ask him how in the world do they get the natural graphite finish on their blanks. If all the blanks were shipped that way no one would ever have a problem again with a scratched blank.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.101.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:43PM

Bill...a lot of people have that type of finish on their blanks. CTS does, Loomis did a long time ago...it's not uncommon at all.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 02:27AM

I received 3 blanks from one of RBO's vendors in the mail this week and one was fractured below the tip. I contacted both the vendor and UPS. I went online and filed a claim with UPS for the damaged blank. The vendor has since replaced the blank which I expect any day. I am happy with the way this situation was handled.

RICH MATRANGA
FOLSOM, CALIFORNIA

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 06:49AM

Thanks guys for the help. My supplier will certainly replace the blanks with no problem; I was just going to save both parties the trouble if I could some how buff them out.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:30AM

Dear Mr. Dear:

The first time I ever noticed the "polished" surface on blanks is when I got home with the "pile" jerked from your garbage can in Charlotte last year. The real thing I am trying to figure out are they an intermediate step in the blank manufacturing process or does this finish come from additional work. Should they be cheaper or more expensive?

I honestly think I will seek this blank surface permanently when possible. I really like the dull sheen of the natural graphite. After heavy use in fishing and transportation they look the same as the day they came out of the shop. The no scratching is a real value to me!

Fsh No Mo

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.240.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 08:44AM

Yeah...I like it too! Well, with the CTS that finish is called the P2000 natural matte finish. The surface is polished AND buffed to give it a sort of "semi-gloss" sheen....you can see it in my botth in Charlotte, as I order most all my CTS inventory this way.

Get this....if you order a CTS blank with the P2000 finish it's $10.00 less than if you had ordered it with a painted finish.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

P.S. on those ALlStars, I just don't think they ever got around to putting the finish on them....it wasn't some intentional thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster