I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone have the weight of Fuji 25mm BYAG/CYAG?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:40PM

Anyone have the exact weight in grains or grams of the Fuji Alconite 25mm BYAG/CYAG? The only one I have is mounted on a rod already. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have the weight of Fuji 25mm BYAG/CYAG?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 09, 2006 04:21AM

FUJI: WEIGHT of SELECTED FUJI LINE GUIDES (in GRAMS) -
Courtesy of Alexander Chunikhin <[email protected]>

FUJI CONCEPT J-GUIDE: BYAG-25J - 4.36g

Re: guide heighth ... Dec. 4, 2005 12:06PM
Courtesy of Alexander Chunikhin <[email protected]>
Cliff. - No. Blue shared boxes is retail prices in Japanese yens.
I have pharmaceutical scales (10mg accuracy). Weights are:

YSG30J is - 5.12g,

YSG20J - 2.36g,

BYAG30J - 6.00g,

BYAG20J - 2.66g.

Does nobody haven't the scales? :))))
The Alconite-ringed Guide is HEAVIER by ~ (10-15)% than
the SiC-ringed Guide in Y-frame Fuji Concept J-Series.

BLAG6J - 0.19g
CLAG6J - 0.20g
LSG6J - 0.17g

BLAG8J - 0.37g
CLAG8J - 0.38g
LSG8J - 0.34g

BYAG8LJ - 0.38g
YSG8LJ - 0.35g

BYAG25J - 4.36g
YSG25J - 3.87g
ICYSG25J - 3.95g
BYLG25 - 4.05g

Regards. Alexander Chunikhin <[email protected]>

CMH> Merry Christmas, ... are you in RUssia ..?... <[email protected]>
Yes, I'm Russian from Lipetsk city (about 400km to south from Moscow)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2006 07:32AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 07:16AM

I just pulled a BYAG25 out of my drawer (unprepped) and it weighs 67.5 grains.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:24AM

I came up with 4.45 gr. preped, for the CYAG 25 on a triple beam

Date: February 09, 2006 02:05PM

FUJI CONCEPT J-GUIDE: WEIGHT of BYAG-25J

4.36 GRAMS - Alexander Chunikhin, nearest 10 milligrams.
4.45 GRAMS - Chris Karp, prepped CYAG 25 on a triple beam.
4.37 GRAMS - Matt Davis BYAG25 - 67.5 grains.- (unprepped).

AVERAGE WEIGHT: 4.39 GRAMS
STANDARD DEVIATION: 0.049 GRAMS
FRACTIONAL STD DEVIATION: 1.1%
Fellows - It don't get any better than this. That is a very tight tolerance for Fuji's multi-step manufacturing processes. ... In fact, it is an error of only 10mg between Alex & Matt's values. Chrome weighs more than black paint.

The darn thing weighs 4.4 grams (or 4.39 grams, and that is about one significant figure of overkill.) ... We are going FISHING, not launching ICBMs from 15,000 miles away at Tehran's Presidential Palace, ... yet, ...
-Cliff Hall+++

FYI: 1.000000 grain (gr) = 64.79891 mg
GR = gr = GRAINS (NOT "GRAMS")
G = g = GRAMS
MG = mg = milligrams = 1/1000th GRAM

For a quick unit conversion, use 1 grain = 65 mg
(One 5 grain aspirin tablet contains 325 mg of aspirin.)

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 11:21PM

> Does nobody haven't the scales? )))
> Alconite is HEAVIER than SiC and Hardloy.

> Regards. Alexander Chunikhin
> <[email protected]>

Alconite HEAVIER? That goes against everything I have read. Why can't Fuji just publish the weights of their guides and put it within .1 grams to allow for fluctuations in paint/metal? I do not believe that Alconite is HEAVIER than SiC or Hardloy in the same guide style, then again, I don't have a scale with that kind of accuracy.

Date: February 10, 2006 07:20AM

SCOTT LEWIS -- The term "HEAVIER" here is a bit ambiguous.
Does Alex imply DENSITY -(MASS per unit VOLUME, which is usually measured in GRAMS / Milli-Liter)- or does he mean the OVERALL WEIGHT of the assembled line guide.

I think that Alex is saying that the data from his weighings show that for the assembled line guide, the OVERALL WEIGHT of the SIC guide is lighter than the ALCONITE guide (and ALCONITE is lighter than the HARDLOY guide.) ...

The AMOUNT (volume or more precisely MASS) of Alconite needed to make a ring in a given frame may be more than the harder SiC. It really is a moot point unless you are a material Scientist or Mat.Engineer. ... The FACT is, as Alex has shown, that the assembled SIC guide weighs LESS than the ALCONITE guide in the same J-frame series, by about 10%. And the Alconite Y-frame guide weighs less than the Hardloy Y-frame guide.

Alex is Russian. His English may be a bit off in complex comparison. Maybe he means that Alconite is DENSER THAN HARDLOY. ... But you are right, Scott - and we all know - that an ALCONITE Guide WEIGHS LESS than a similar HARDLOY Guide.

I will edit my Post to remove that confusion, for which I now apologize. ...
Thank you, Scott Lewis, for calling this confusion to my attention.

Alconite may well be less DENSE than SiC and than Hardloy, but that is unclear from Fuji's claims. Since Alconite and Hardloy are two different forms of crystalline Aluminum Oxide, that density is proprietary information which Fuji is apt to keep unpublished. Any competitor can determine it with a little work in a laboratory. But even to the custom rod-builder, the overall weight of the assembled guide is what matters, IMO. We wrap whole guides on the rod, not isolated rings.

To re-iterate, for the Fuji Concept Guides, the SIC Guide weighs less than the ALCONITE Guide, and the ALCONITE Guide weighs less than the HARDLOY Guide for the same RING Size (mm) in the same style-shape frame.

FUJI does NOT publish guide WEIGHTS (MASSES), but they do publish the RING OD-ID-Width and some of the RING HEIGHTS above the rod blank.

A Dios, ... -Cliff Hall+++

FUJI RING HEIGHTS:
[www.fujitackle.com]

FUJI RING OD-ID-Width:
from the drop-down menu link
GENERAL INFORMATION
“RING SIZE CHART”
[www.anglersresource.net]

For practical purposes, consider any of the Fuji Y-frame or Vee-frame guides of whatever frame metal (or color) or ceramic ring material to have the same HEIGHT OFF THE BLANK as its analogous counterpart in another series of Fuji guides. The RING OD-ID-Widths will vary slightly with ceramic material for a given ring-flange type, but not much. A "Table of Guide Masses (Weights)" is unknown to me, which is why a nice top-loading scale (+/- 10mg) is on my Wish List. -Cliff Hall+++

NOTICE that FUJI:
Y-Frame RING-HT = ~ 2.0 x RING-OD
V-Frame RING-HT = ~ 1.5 x RING-OD

Y30 = 59mm
Y20 = 51mm

YSG-30J - 5.12g,
YSG-20J - 2.36g,
BYAG30J - 6.00g,
BYAG20J - 2.66g.

FUJI CATALOG, hard-copy:
from the drop-down menu link
GENERAL INFORMATION
“CATALOG REQUEST”
[www.anglersresource.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster