I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rods for different styles of fishing Q
Posted by: Paul Probus (---.aoc.gov)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:09PM

I have had this question for quite a while. Looking through a BPS catalog, I see rods that are labelled for different specialties, like Jerkbait, live bait, spinner bait, etc. but other than that, their specs are the same (i.e. same line rating). What is the difference between a rod built for the different kind of fishing types? I mean is there really a difference between a rod that is meant to be used for spinner bait fishing vs. one built for crankbait fishing vs. one meant for live bait fishing, assuming all things being equal? Is the difference typically in the blank or where else would the difference be (the guide placement, reel seat, what?).

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rods for different styles of fishing Q
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:35PM

Paul,
A blank is a blank. You can find examples of blanks all over the species/technique spectrum that will fit the criteria for just about anything. It's just a sales ploy and it does help the weekend fisherman in many ways as the good old neighborhood tackle store with knowledgable personnel is a thing of the past. The only problem I see is that now someone is telling your what works for you.
What if you fish from a jonboat instead of say a decked bassboat, will the rod now be to long now that your closer to the water? What if you fish from a multispecies hull like I do and can now use a little longer rod as your rod tip is now further from the water? What if your 5 ft tall and the guy who decided this was the rod of choice is 6 ft 4 in?
That's why we're here. That's why we build custom rods.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:47PM

The difference can be in the action and power of the blank.The line ratings can all be the same but the action will make the lure perform differently and cast differently.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 04:02PM

I think that the manufacturers are usually trying to match action to technique, and some times action & length combinations. For example, most blanks tagged for finesse baits (worms, jig & pigs) will be fast to x-fast and reaction blanks (cranks, spinners) will be mod to slow action. Or, live bait blanks will have a soft tip and blanks for throwing plastics fast action. While this is a marketing strategy, I think is typically a good one and helpful for an angler/builder new to the technique. The suggestions are usually from the pro or field tester staff and based on experience on the water. I think it is also true that you will see some blanks in multiple categories, because there is obvious cross over where an action can be appropriate for more than one technique. As far as setting it up as either casting or spinning or even sometimes fly, the blank doesn't know where the reel is sitting.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 04:46PM

TAPER=ACTION, IMO, is Numero Uno,
maybe then MODULUS, POWER & LENGTH.
Since line & lure ratings are about the only way to gauge power from a catalog, what else do we have to go by until you make the $50++ experiment. ...
Word of mouth, and an educated analyzer (your brain and your hand, calibrated at a retail rod rack near you), until you have a wide enough inventory of rod-building experience and / or rods on hand to reduce the guesswork in selecting the right rod for the next job. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2006 05:13PM

Once a blank is designed, the people who handle sales and marketing will have some idea of the uses they'll suggest for it. They may decide to include it as a spinning and casting model,or as a "walleye" model or a "spin bass" model. But the blank is just a blank and has no idea what it's going to be listed as. It's just a tubular shaft.

Pay closer attention to the action, power and casting lure weight range and make your selection based on those rather than on the heading at the top of the catalog page.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster