I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First jerkbait rod
Posted by: Marko Arhagen (---.telenor.se)
Date: February 08, 2006 06:17AM

I have only built flyrods, so I would need some tips/thoughts

Got great help from Batson crew with blank and components.

Blank:IMU757 that I will shorten to 6’
Catsing reealseat(GTC) and guides(BUDLG). I can specify the reelseat/guides to night, don’t have the sizes here.

Now I want to make this rod something special. The range of jerkbait rods here in Sweden is quite limited, and my customer isen’t happy with what he has today, and his biggest wish is to have a great performing rod.

I want too know if spiral wrapping this rod would give it that “special” feel and performance.

Good Or bad?

Splitgrip or not?

Anything else ?

Thanks in advance / Marko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First jerkbait rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2006 09:18AM

The spiral wrap makes any casting rod perform a bit better when fighting fish. Whether or not it will give it that "special" feel I have no idea. It will certainly make it different from what your customers are used to seeing and using.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:09AM

Marko,
Whether you wrap the rod using the conventional approach or spiral wrap it should not have any effect on the feel. The feel is going to be mainly a function of the rod's efficiency(stiffness/weight) which will be affected mainly by the weight that you add particularly the weight that is added toward the tip of the rod. If you use as few guides as possible, use as small and light weight guides as you can, take care in not adding any more weight than necessary with the wraps and epoxy on the wraps, that will give you the rod with the best feel.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 01:04PM

Marko - I've built Jerkbait rods for a customer who is a tournament bass angler. His definition of performance focused on how well the rod helped him work the bait and "keep in touch" with it's action. His favorite blank is the St Croix 368MFX. He very much likes the the XF action for the line control and contact with the bait as he works it on the retrieve. He also likes no fore grip and a short split rear grip because he uses his wrist a lot to "flick" cast the bait under cover and uses his wrist to work the bait. The lighter weight helps hand fatique. Not sure if this is at all applicable to the way your customer intends to fish jerk baits, but hope it helps.

Posted by: Marko Arhagen (---.telia.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:32PM

Thanks for the input!

Performanse is the main thing so a spiral wrap it will be and i will also keep down the wight on the handle.

Steve R My customer mention just that part of a shorter rear grip.

forget the frase "special"feel diden't come out right.

I have your book Tom and this site so this should be a piece of cake ;-)

Marko

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster