I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson blank tip preperation and size question
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:01PM

I have two rainshadow blanks in green. Both are finished all the way to the top, no 1/2 inch dull area like the other blanks I have and have used. I assume I need to prep the tip just as if I were anywhere else that needed a water break free surface, right?

Will that tiny bit of sanding with 600 grit actually change the tip diameter to any noticable degree? The reason I ask is that neither of the tip tops fit and both were ordered per the catalog's tip diameter. I can get the tube started but it won't go more than about 2-3mm on the blank. Before I move forward, I'd like to know what you guys think. All the others I have put on seemed very loose, like I could have probably gone a size smaller, but these are the first "finished" blanks I've gotten.

Will 2 coats of finish (green and the clear) make that much difference?

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 10:37PM by Keith Neidhart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank tip preperation and size question
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:31PM

Scrape the finish off with the flat (not sharp) edge of a single-edged razor blade.

I don't use sandpapger it's too easy to get to the fibers. You would not generally want to use sandpaper to make a water break-free surface anyway. It leave deeper gouges in the surface as opposed to 000.

Christian

Re: blank tip preperation and size question
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 10:36PM

I'm not worried about getting into the fibres... 600 is about like using steel wool. I couldn't even get into the fibres on one pass. I just don't want to try to "make it fit" by thinking it's just finish, if you know what I mean. I hate the thought of waiting for 2 new guides and surely can't fathom paying overnight fedex on 2 tip tops.

Are batson blanks generally pretty true to the listed size and tip tops? I'm just trying to figure out if they have a thick finish or if I need to order new tops before even starting to prep the tips... because if I start, I don't think I'll be able to stop until the tops fit. And in case anyone wonders, I have tried Batson and Fuji tops on these, they both just start - exactly the same.

Re: Batson blank tip preperation and size question
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:17PM

Hi Keith. Something amiss here. That rod tip should fit into the tip if it is sized right. It's also a good idea to gather tips and winding checks of different sizes in case the dealer or catalog makes a mistake. It has happened to me and I am only on my fifth rod. You could sand it to fit but I would hesitate myself. Tom

Posted by: Charles Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:40PM

Hey Keith,

Don't forget the INSIDE of the tip top also. Use a drill bit that will fit inside the tip, placed in a battery drill on slow speed and let the tips of the drill bit "score" the inside of the tube to allow the epoxy to grip. It doesn't do much good if the epoxy adheres to the blank if the tip tube is slick on the inside and still has process lubricant inside where it was manufactured. After scoring, shoot it with electronic parts cleaner to degrease the inside. Blow clear with compressed air.

The manufacturer may clean these up very well, I just make sure they are scored and clean. They won't be the ones to replace the tip later! Just another ounce of prevention. Why risk a $300.00 rod with a $3.00 tip.

PS: Never count on the tip sizes being as listed. Order extra. Saves a lot of grief.

Keep 'em turning.

Charlie

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:43PM

Tip sizes listed can not be completely counted on. There will be some small varability between different blanks of the same model. It shouldn't be more than a half size off.

If you can get the tip on just a little bit - scraping off the finish will get you the rest of the way there.

Christian

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:29AM

I scraped off the finish this morning and it still won't fit. I was really careful... and I'm sure I could have gone further but don't want to chance anything. I went ahead and ordered larger tops. What a drag... time lost.

Thanks for the input.

-keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster