I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Winston Rods
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:28AM

Hey all, I've got a Winston BLS 9' #8 4 1/4 oz rod with a broken guide. I asked Winston what guides that they use and was told send it to them along with $30 and they woud replace it. I want to do it myself, which is why I asked what guides they used so I can match it to what is already there. I need to replace the 2nd double foot guide. It looks like a chrome SIC guide but there are no Fiji markings on it. Does anyone know what guides that Winston uses??? Also, it' s wraped with dark green thread, no CP(its translucent) Any one with any info on the guides/thread that Winston uses will be greatly appreciated. If not I'll just relplace it with the closest thing I can find, function over fashion, LOL.

Thanks
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Winston Rods
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:49AM

Probably a PAC Bay guide . The thread is custom dyed to their specifications. I built a BIIX rod and asked about the thread color and Winston told me about the custom thread.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2006 10:03AM

Gudebrod 5896 with no CP will match darn close if not exact in terms of the green thread Winston uses.

Most likely they use guides from Batson, American Tackle or Pacific Bay. You can visit those websites and see if you see anything that looks like the guide you have on there now. Perfection also makes fly rod stripping guides and they're still used by more than a few fly rod makers.

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 04:47PM

Tony Politi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey all, I've got a Winston @#$%&9' #8 4 1/4 oz
> rod with a broken guide. I asked Winston what
> guides that they use and was told send it to them
> along with $30 and they woud replace it. I want
> to do it myself, which is why I asked what guides
> they used so I can match it to what is already
> there. I need to replace the 2nd double foot
> guide. It looks like a chrome SIC guide but there
> are no Fiji markings on it. Does anyone know what
> guides that Winston uses??? Also, it' s wraped
> with dark green thread, no CP(its translucent)
> Any one with any info on the guides/thread that
> Winston uses will be greatly appreciated. If not
> I'll just relplace it with the closest thing I can
> find, function over fashion, LOL.
>
> Thanks
> Tony

So just out of curiosity, why would you want to change the guide out yourself and potentially invalidate the warantee? Is it expired, or was it a used rod? Granted, $30 to change a guide is a bit of dough, but if you break the tip for instance....

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:41PM

He should be able to change it without anything looking different. Generally replacing a guide won't invalidate your warranty as long as you haven't modified the rod in any way and kept the guide and the location of the guide the same.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:13PM

Thanks for the responses, James, the rod is a second hand rod that has a broken guide, otherwise it's in good shape. I've had the rod for 2-3 years and never touched it, it'll be a second backup. I'm not concerned about the warranty just want to get the rod usable.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster