I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

National Rod Builders Show
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:13AM

Now that we’re just 2 and half weeks from the 3rd annual National Rod Builders Show, I’m going to put up one last reminder of some of the things going on there. What I have listed below pretty much takes care of the official program but everyone should be aware that much, much, much more ends up taking place on the show floor, in the concession area, in the hotels, etc. You just don’t gather 1,000+ rod builders together and not have a tremendous amount of rod building knowledge kicked around all during the event and even after the show hours.

The National Rod Builders Show is far and away the world’s largest and most all encompassing rod building event. Comprised of the most educational seminars and presentations, the largest gathering of rod building supply dealers and manufacturers and the greatest number of attending rod builders, this is the premier event for custom rod builders worldwide.

Show Date and Times:
February 25 &26, 2006, Charlotte Convention Center, Saturday 9AM - 5:30, Sunday 9AM - 4:30 (attendees may stay on the show floor as long as the dealers and manufacturers choose to remain open).

Seminars:
[home.earthlink.net]

Seminar Presenters:
[home.earthlink.net]

Vendors:
[home.earthlink.net]

RodMaker Reception:
[home.earthlink.net]

Local Attractions:
[home.earthlink.net]

Comments from 2005:
[home.earthlink.net]

There will also be several interactive booths on the show floor. For instance, the NERBS booth where decorative wrapping instructions will be ongoing throughout the entire weekend. We'll have others with ongoing basic rod building instruction, turning, etc.

*(Additional door prizes for the RodMaker Reception have come in from several vendors including Custom Tackle Supply, Wylie Rods, C&M Tackle, Ken Preston and a few others. I will get them up on the site later this week.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 08:33AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: National Rod Builders Show
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:29AM

I'd like to add that I'll be in U40 Trondak's booth most of the weekend with Ralph and Joe. I'll be doing some marbling, feather inlays, and I think I'll bring some of this metal leaf foil material with and do a bit of that, too. Stop by the booth if you'd like to see some of these things done and learn a few of the quirks that come with working with these things.

Putter
Williston, ND

The Rods...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2006 01:22PM

I just unpacked 5 rods from Hiro Tanaka. They'll be on display in Charlotte and Hiro will be there as well. If you like looking at custom rods and seeing some of the very best custom rod work in the world, up close and in person, The National Rod Builders Show is the place to be.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 06:10PM

Just one more showing of some of the specialty rodbuilding tools, handles and accessories that will be on hand in Charlotte. Stop by and have your picture taken with "Clyde the Gator". He will have his whole family in for the shindig!

Taste some of the best Cajun beef jerky you've ever wrapped your taste buds around. After just one taste You might want to hang around our booth and spend all of your money with us !!!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rods

Give selected rods a test ride in the casting pool with a Shimano Curado 200 BSF Bait Casting Reel - We will let you set the hook on Clyde!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Huge inventory of Donjer Products for flocking. All colors of nylon flock and adhesives are displayed. Canisters and compressed air spray devices Deeply Discounted.

The text for the Flocking Workshop will be available.

Gator Hide Reamers in four different sizes and abrasive combinations. These reamers were custom-built using heavy-duty components and are fitted with optional butt caps and extension

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Swampland Rods high quality 4" x 2" engraved black brass plate with Rodmaker Magazine Logo. The plate authenticates a your presence at Charlotte.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Oval shaped rod racks will be available in 10 and 16-rod models

[www.rodbuilding.org]

"Clyde Hide" Sanding Tool - 40 - 80 - 220 - 320 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1500.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Pick up that hard to find specialty tool discounted prices. Things like new sanitized dentist explorers, 1/8" Scotch Guide Placement Tape, Scotch Striping Tape For flock sectioning, Stainless Steel Knippers for trimming metallic thread, spring loaded Squizzers, sharp scissors for all thread work, nail knot tools, workshop or stream side thread spool tensioning devices, stainless steel hooks for gaffs, plenty of spare graphite blank extensions and many others.

We have the exclusive rights to a "Paint Brush For A Flea! Try the Flea on a marble pattern or in a guide foot tunnel! This one is worth the price of admission.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
I
See you ALL in Charlotte!

The Swamp Boyz, Clyde and Clydette

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 08:29PM by Lance Dupre.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 07:21PM

I plan on having a full "do it yourself' hands on learning booth = stop by and show how YOU do things. Share your methods with others. Wrap guides with/without power assist; narrow trim bands; Jesse's 5 minute diamond wrap; airbrushing'; tinting; gap zapping; getting rid of micro bubbles in finish open flame vs heat gun; setting your own labels; cutting cork & eva for inserts... Open discussion on techniques. I'll set up a time-table & post it at the booth that least interferes with the seminars/talks and other on-going activities.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:08PM

Is that reel backlash proof? I'm reel good at creating backlashes. Is there going to be a gator tail flocking contest? What about Gator tail sausage? Last sample I had was out of this world. Leave your copperheadedrattle mochasins in LA!

Ken Preston, I want you to show me how you did that twisted thread butt wrap you had last year.

Putter, Leave your snow in ND.

Looking forward to Charlotte!

Ed

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:12PM

Ken,
You did not mention a demonstration on how to apply epoxy with your dog's tail. When is that scheduled?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:28AM

My dog is really only good at 'swagging' hanging bamboo sticks. Out of the dipping tube, hang to dry and fan with tail. Although I think she may actually like hanging out near the curing oven for the glass scrim rods Kinda neat what can be done with large diameter duct work & some heating coils. The 'speriment was progressing well until this week when the temps dropped down into the 20's. I'm saving my dog for the N.W show.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:58PM

Ken,
Are you going to make it this year? We would sure like to have you come. And your dog will be welcome as well.

Posted by: Hank Turner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:46PM

Tom Kirkman, I and my business partner are very new to rod building. We were in the craft business and both are avid fisherman and decided to start making custom rods. We bought your book on rod building and think it is a very good guide to begin the task of making our firsrt rods. You mentioned you may write a second book. We sure hope you do as we really could understand the material written in your book. We are attending the rod show and hope to get to meet you in person. Also , have you thought about making a video? thanks, Hank Turner & Margret Murden

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:59PM

Hank,

Charlotte's definately the place to learn/see/do and meet some of the best builders in the world!! You're in for a really great time. Hope to meet you there!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster