I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float rod advise needed.
Posted by: Jim Balyszak (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 04:50PM

I'm interested in a building a float rod in the 9' range for some of our more moderate sized streams in western NY. All of the "off the shelf" float rods are 11'6" to 13'+ in length and really suited for bigger water then I usually fish.

Since I don't have the $ to have a shorter, custom float rod made, anyone have any experience or tips on selecting a blank for a 9' rod probably in the 4-8# or 6-10# test range?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float rod advise needed.
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 05:31PM

look at cheaper fly blanks in a 6 or 7 wt also.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 06:17PM

Rainshadow 1081F or 1082F steelhead blanks will work great. I like the green ones.

Posted by: Roger Williams (---.57.40.162.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:47PM

The longer float rods are not needed for larger rivers but the speed for picking up line off the water- insuring a good hook set and fewer lost fish regardless of size of the river.I fish a few rivers in Western NY and my preference is nothing shorter than 11'6". My rod is Loomis ST1384IMX. The best float rod I have ever come across. The IMX graphite makes it a very light rod, easy to fish all day- with lots of power to turn a Steelhead if need be . Loomis also makes these blanks in GL2 and GL3 graphite, which are less expensive.

Posted by: Jim Balyszak (---.syr.choiceone.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 10:22PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Spencer, any suggestions on where to look for the blanks you suggested?

Roger, I understand your thoughts on a longer rod for better line management and hooksets. I had the chance to use a 13' rod on the Genny a couple of times during the summer on cats and carp and can definitely see the advantage on water that size. I'm just starting to dabble in the Lake Ontario runs for browns and steelies but most of my fishing will be on smaller waters closer to home for trout drifting nymphs under floats. I'm basically doing that now with spin equipment but it @#$%& with having the bail open for a drift, trying to manage line and then trying to close it and get a hook set in under 10 minutes! That was my thought for a 9' rod which is about the longest I can easily handle on these streams with trees and vegetation.

Maybe I'm way off on this but I just can't see having a good time fighting with a longer rod on the streams I have in mind and get to fish most. Maybe I should just get the center pin first and try it on my current 8.5' and 9' spin rods? But I'm thinking a rod with about 18" of cork grip with sliding ring seats would be good for adjusting the reel placement. I'm thinking there's not enough cork in front on my current spin rods for a comfortable grip and proper hand placement to feather the spool.

Any thoughts on this ramble?

Date: February 06, 2006 11:27PM

FishSticks4U is probably the closest to you, but there is also Custom Tackle, Scneider's, Bingham's, and Angler's Workshop.

Posted by: Brandon Nagant (80.123.209.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 12:35AM

Where can I learn more information about float fishing? I did a few searches and cant seem to find anything good really. I got a 12 foot graphite spinning rod for float fishing and would like to learn proper methods so that I know what Im doing and be able to build a rod that is perfect for what I am doing. I am new to "float fishing" but Ive built and rebuilt quite a few rods.

Posted by: Brandon Nagant (80.123.209.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 12:35AM

Where can I learn more information about float fishing? I did a few searches and cant seem to find anything good really. I got a 12 foot graphite spinning rod for float fishing and would like to learn proper methods so that I know what Im doing and be able to build a rod that is perfect for what I am doing. I am new to "float fishing" but Ive built and rebuilt quite a few rods.

Date: February 07, 2006 01:24AM

www.steelheader.net, www.sportfishingbc.com, www. fishsponge.com. There are a huge amount of steelhead fishing sites with info. Just google "steelhead fishing (your state)" and you should get lots of local techniques and other info.

Posted by: Jim Balyszak (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 08:05AM

Thanks Spencer.

Brandon, here's one link to some good info. on rigging floats. [www.steelheader.net]

Posted by: Dan Colville (136.183.157.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 01:37PM

Drop me an email at Steelheader@buffalo.com. I think i can help.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster