I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide on penn 7500 reel
Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.207-68.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 07:03AM

Can I get away with a 60 or should I go to a 70?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide on penn 7500 reel
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:41AM

Per Mud-Hole 2006 Catalog, page 71:

Wire-Frame, Chrome-plated Stainless Steel
BRACED Line Guides with Silver Solder welds:
XBSG-70mm - ~$6
XBSG-60mm - ~$5

Close call. ... If you are fishing a lot of cold weather and nylon monofilament line or shock leader, and need distance in repetitive casting (lures) where the swivels are not keeping up with the line twist, I would go with the 70mm ring to reduce the line slap up front on the butt guide. ...

If you are staying at 20# test mono or under, the 60mm could be big enough. Above that or with a stiff mono like Ande, a 70mm should perform better.

Where you PLACE the guide can make a big difference. Test cast it and position it for less slap and more distance. (Maybe ~ 24"-30" in front of your reel spool.)

(If you are still using ANDE Pink or Clear, try instead the 1/4 lb spool of BERKLEY BIG GAME Green. It's the same price as the Ande and is much more supple and has as good knot strength and abrasion resistance. IMO, one trial will make a believer out of you, too. Old habits die hard, ...)

I doubt that the difference in the weight of the 70mm guide or the extra stiffness of a longer toe-spread on the guide feet is an issue. The extra height off the blank helps your casting, but is a bit more of an accidental banging hazard. But the guide is BRACED and really well anchored... Any (60-70mm) butt guide on a big surf pole sticks out like a sore thumb, so that is just par for the course. ...

Like I says, other than that, IMO, ... it's your call.
Good luck, ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2006 09:56AM by Cliff Hall.

Re: Stripper guide on penn 7500 reel
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:34AM

Dale Cecil - If you would consider a move to the CERAMIC-ring guides, I think you would find that FUJI has some very nice HARDLOY guides that would be almost the same price as the those XBSG Wire frame guides. They won’t rust. Cracking nowadays is not as bad as when they first came out ~ 20 years ago. And performance is as least as good, if not better, all the way around.

Per Mud-Hole 2006 Catalog, page 68:

FUJI HARDLOY-Ring HIGH-FRAME SPINNING-SURF Guides
DOUBLE-foot, 3-Legged frame. Purple-ish ring color. Black finish over SS-frame.
BHVLG-40mm-HH $9. Also available in 30H, 25H, 25M, 20M, 16L. $7-$4.

FUJI HARDLOY-Ring Y-FRAME SPINNING Guides
SINGLE-foot, 2-Legged frame. Purple-ish ring color. Black finish over SS-frame.
BYLG-30mm $3.50. Also available in 25, 20, 16, 10, 8mm. $2.50-$1.00.

Per Mud-Hole 2006 Catalog, page 65 & 70: The FUJI ALCONITE-Ring Y-FRAME “CONCEPT” J-SERIES Guides are also an excellent, if not superior, guide series for this application. But ALCONITE C/BYAG’s will cost ~50+% more than HARDLOY BYLG’s.

FUJI ALCONITE-Ring Y-FRAME “CONCEPT” J-SERIES Guides
DOUBLE-foot, 3-Leg Y-frame. BLACK-ring color. Black or Chrome over SS.
BMNAG-40mm-J $8. CMNAG-40mm-J $11.

FUJI ALCONITE-Ring Y-FRAME “CONCEPT” J-SERIES Guides
SINGLE-foot, 2-Leg Y-frame. BLACK-ring color. Black or Chrome over SS.
BYAG-mm-J or CYAG-mm-J. About $4-$2, for 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 8mm.

Dale, if you use a HIGH-FRAME 40MM DOUBLE-FOOT BUTT GUIDE, with ALL the rest of the guides a HIGH-Y-FRAME SINGLE-FOOT Spinning Guides, then you will have a great set-up as well. It won’t rust and won’t cost maybe $5 more than your Chrome-ring wire-frame guides.

LAYOUT a 40HH, followed by Y-framed 30-25J, 20-16J, 16-12J, then 12-10J’s running on out to the tip. Some guys even go as small as 10mm for light tip rods. If you have leader knots, stay with 10mm or larger. … Top off the rod with a nice TIP-TOP Alconite BFAT or Hardloy B/PLT ($2-3 for either) and you can’t go wrong.

You can, of course, use brands of high-Y-frame guides beside Fuji (Batson Forecast, AmTack, etc) and do as well. I just picked one brand as my reference. –Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster