I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marine Epoxy for Guide Wraps?
Posted by: Joe Mathews (---.bootp.Virginia.EDU)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:37AM

I'm just getting started with rod building, and I'm wondering if marine epoxy, like that used to do fiberglass work on boats, would suffice in lieu of official rod building epoxy.

Has anyone tried this, or does anyone know of disadvantages/problems/reasons why it won't work? I'm on a budget, and buying the epoxy in such large quantities would be quite convenient. TIA for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marine Epoxy for Guide Wraps?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 06:28AM

Joe,The epoxy used for the boats most likely would not be flexable enough and also yellow rather quickly.
that is a resin to be used with cloth to add strength.By itself it is not very strong and will crack under stress.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2006 08:39AM

Exactly. It's not made to be very flexible and would most likely be a poor thread coating. Standard marine spar varnish would be better than marine epoxy for that sort of thing.

But if it were me, I'd get a kit of epoxy thread wrap finish.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:01AM

Marine epoxy is what we used on rods way back almost 30 years ago before the excellent new finishes were around. It yellows very fast and is not nearly as flexible as rod finishes of today. I still have the first rod I made, it's fiberglass and is finished with marine epoxy. I just keep it around as a conversation piece.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:15AM

As an aside, when discussing "EPOXY" in rod-building, it may be necessary to distinguish between the Epoxy-ADHESIVES and Epoxy- THREAD- FINISHES. These are by no means interchangeable.

The epoxy ADHESIVES have poor optical & flexibility properties.
And the epoxy THREAD-FINISHES have poor adhesive properties.

An EPOXY is a two-part formula that cures by a chemical reaction.
An EPOXIDE "RESIN" is mixed with an AMINE "HARDENER" .

By varying the exact type of the epoxide and the amine molecule, the manufacturer / formulator can get the type of epoxy desired. Some have broader applications than others, but rod-building epoxy thread finishes really have no competition from other epoxy applications. The other types are not formulated to retain a clear & non-yellowing color and to be as flexible as a fishing rod. ...

If you find one, let us know - I am sure you would generate a lot of interest. ... This is one of those times when the absence of a satisfactory answer to your question implies that others have not investigated this very thoroughly, or that they have tried it and the results were not worthwhile. ... That's when "reading between the lines" and the absence of supporting evidence implies an invalid premise. (Q: Is 'this' as good as 'that' - A: Not really) ... No problem in asking the question - but unless one is willing to be the pioneer, it may be time to move on and use what is already available.

I myself have not used it in 20 years, but Sally Hansen's "Hard-As-Nails" clear Nail Polish used to get some use on the threads of fishing rods. I don't have that rod anymore, so I can't comment on the 20 year plan. But during the 5 years after I re-built it, the threads looked great - flat green over a WHITE underwrap, and the Nail Polish did not yellow. (But the solid fiberglass rod did CRACK from being in a hot car in a curved state. When I took it out of the car to hit the surf again, it cracked very 4-8 inches when flexed strongly. Weirdest rod failure I have ever had.)

Some rod-builders get good results using hardware store brands of (marine) varnish or (for wood) polyurethanes for their rod-building thread finish. Search RBO for more details on that

If your choice of colors is a dark thread over a dark rod blank, yellowing will never really be noticed, no matter how bad it gets. But for lighter colors, "Caveat Emptor" - Buyer Beware, ... Good luck, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Date: February 06, 2006 11:17AM

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. Cliff, your writeup was particularly helpful. I suppose I'll do a few more searches for results with the hardware store solutions you mentioned. I also didn't realize how little thread wrap epoxy is necessary to do one rod.

As far as epoxy adhesive versus thread wrap finish, should different epoxies be used? If I purchase an authentic thread wrap epoxy for that application, what epoxy should I use to attach the cork handle to the blank?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:37AM

Joe,
Don't be "penny wise/pound foolish. Hardware epoxies are adhesives while rod finishes are more of a casting resin and not an adhesive. A good finis would probably cost about $10 for enough to do several rods. You will not get the same results.

For the handle, reel seat, etc., I would use Rod Bond, but the standard epoxies shoild work also.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 06, 2006 01:20PM

Joe Mathews wrote: "As far as epoxy adhesive versus thread wrap finish, should different epoxies be used? If I purchase an authentic thread wrap epoxy for that application, what epoxy should I use to attach the cork handle to the blank?"

First off, NEVER use a THREAD FINISH as an ADHESIVE for rod-building. It is too weak to hold up to any significant force or pressure. Use one epoxy for your adhesives and a different one for your thread finishes. Use the right epoxy for the job, or disappoint is almost guaranteed. ...

Also, remember to scuff the mating surfaces of any glue joint before mounting to improve adhesion.

For mounting the cork handle to the rod blank, many people would recommend ROD-BOND. For glueing the rings to each other, many like TITEBOND III. I don't know if they like TB-3 for mounting the grip to the rod blank, too. Lots of variations here, Joe. A relatively small amount of epoxy adhesive evenly spread over the ring is enough to hold the cork rings to each other.

Try a SEARCH = "CORK MOUNT" or "CORK GLU" etc [Mssg Body + Subject] LAST YEAR for an avalanche of info on this Subject. Some brands of glue give better "glue lines" so that is a consideration as well.

Just keep the fact that epoxy adhesives and epoxy thread finishes are two very different animals that are NOT interchangeable, and you will have half the battle won. Then you can concentrate on the handling & performance properties of your brand of choice, and perfecting your application technique. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Date: February 06, 2006 01:31PM

Great, that clarifies a lot of things for me. Thanks very much for taking the time to help. I will certainly post updates as things progress!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster