I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weaving newbie question
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:20PM

So now I want to jump in feet first and do some decorative weaving. I understand the basic concepts but I have one concept/question (for now) which I can't seem to work through in my head. If I have one row along the rod (is that warp or weave?) that requires multiple colors, how do I carry the threads along the same line? How do I get them to come out properly if they need to be right next to each other? For example (X-Black background B-Blue Y-Yellow):

XXXXXXXXXXXXX ...
XXXXBBBYYYXXX ...
XXXXXXXXXXXXX ...

I've had to carry the blue/yellow together behind the black and then had the yellow appear right next to the blue at the second transition. If the blue and yellow are next to each other on the blank won't I have a small gap as I try to move them sideways? As a corollary, what is the maximum reasonable number of colors (meant for one row) that one can carry down the length of the blank?

So this leads to the next question: obviously I'm missing some basic concepts so could somebody point me in the right direction for the basic books / DVDs. It seems to me that I read something about a new Doc Ski book but I can't seem to locate it in the sponsors list.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weaving newbie question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:25PM

Doc has a great DVD on weaving that is available from Mudhole and probably other sponsors. You might also e-mail Doc with any questions you might have. He is always ready to pitch in with help for anyone needing it!!! Docski377@aol.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 02:34PM

Steven; The design threads of different colors for any row are stacked one on top of the other when you place the threads on the rod to begin with. In your example you would stack Blue and Yellow one over the other at the same location. Then after four wraps on the fifth wrap take the Blue thread from the stack on the right and move it to the left and leave it there for three wraps (complete turns of the rod blank). At wrap 8 you would take the Yellow design thread to the left and bring the Blue thread back to the right. You then make three wraps and then bring the Yellow thread back to the right and continue on wrapping. One of the things you want to keep in mind is doing the exchange in the same way each and every time. If the Yellow thread passes outside (farther away from you ) of the Blue when they swap sides do it that way every time. That will keep you from creating unsightly gaps. Remember that on the exchange you have two threads coming from the same hole so you don't want two going in the same direction side by side. That wouldn't show in your example above but would if you added more rows of design threads.

I am going to assume that you are using some sort of weaving jig. If not get one, make one or borrow one. Trying to weave using the tape rolled back on itself so the sticky side is out or even the double sided tapes available today is an exercise in frustration you don't need. Besides Doc Ski's DVD there are also two back issues of RodMaker Magazine that have articles on Basic Weaving and Color Change Weaving with plenty of pictures to show details.

As to the number of threads you can use for color change weaves, that will depend on your ability and to some extent the blank circumference. The more threads you stack one on the other (even though actually they don't stay one on top of the other) creates a hump or thicker area along the axis where they are stacked. Depending on how you handle this will determine how the finished product will look. I will often make each layer equal in number just to keep from creating a high center for example and to keep the threads in line. Sort of spacers to keep everything where it belongs. I have used as many as 8 different colors and I know Doc has used at least 10 and perhaps more but it does create it's own set of problems. Sometimes you can lay them out like a multi-color weave, side by side and eliminate part of the problem but that's a pattern making problem.

If you have other questions just ask I'll try to help.

Posted by: steve smotherman (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:11PM

Jim when you did the baby dragon weave did you use very fine thread like madeira?also how many threads did you use I think thats the most impressive weave ive seen

Date: February 05, 2006 10:24PM

Steve; I used Madeira #40 Polyneon for the design over Gudebrod "C". There are 7 colors: Yellow, Green, Light Green, Light Blue, Red, Chartreuse, and White. As I recall 180 design threads and about 220 wraps. There were so many color changes that each wrap took about 20 minutes to complete.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:35PM

Joey, Just a heads up!!! The rules of this forum require a full name (first & last) or the post will be automatically removed. Just letting you know so you can repost.

<ike

Posted by: Joey Moll (---.one-bank.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:44PM

Mr. Upton,

You mentioned RodMaker's magazine has two back issues illustrating basic weaving. Do you know the month/year of the issues?

I'm a newbie too, more so than Steven. I'm in the "trying to understand it stage".

Thanks,

Joey

Date: February 06, 2006 04:31PM

Joey; Volume 5 issue #4 Decorative thread weaving. Volume 6 issue #5 Color Change Weaving.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster