I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How small can I turn down cork, EVA, burl rings?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 02:55PM

I want to mount a Fuji FPS reelseat on a Forecast IP904 blank with a split rear grip and a single ring as a foregrip. The blank diameter in front of the reelseat is about .440 in diameter, a 16mm NPS has an oval front end around .654 x .702. I'd like to have the single ring wind up as close to the same diameter as the reelseat so I could lay my finger on the blank. But that will put the wall thickness of that single front ring at .107 minimum. Is this too thin? What would be the best type ring to turn down to the smallest OD - cork, burl, rubber impregnated cork? Would it be easier to turn the ring already glued to the blank? I could move up to a Fuji 18mm seat but it looks too large on this blank. If this isn't possible l'll have to make it a bit larger than I want to. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How small can I turn down cork, EVA, burl rings?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:05PM

If you have the skill you can turn any material down to almost paper thinness. The blank will support it underneath, so it will retain sufficient support to do what you need it to do. But, when you start turning things down to such a point, it is very important that things be perfectly concentric. Even minor imperfections in terms of fit and finish will easily show when you're working with smaller, thinner, closer fitting pieces.

For what it might be worth to you, the reel seat should be sized to suit your hand, not the blank. If the 18 feels more comfortable, use it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:15PM

Tim,

Something else you might want to try is a small epoxy "ramp" between the blank and seat and wrap right up it. Put you rod in the dryer (or turn by hand) and put a gob of 5 min epoxy where yhe blank joins the seat. Raise the tip a little to get the ramp angle that you want. The turning of the rod will give you a nice smooth ramp right to the edge of the seat. Just wrap right up the ramp and when you get to the top, just put a small dab of Super glue to hold the tag in pace and tape the end out of the way. Put finish on and when it's dry, trim off the loose end flush. Makes a nice looking transition.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:36PM

Tim,

You have advise from two of the best in the business. Tom's suggestion of gluing every thing to the blank and then thining it down is excellant, particullarly with cork. I have slightly modified Mike's idea and wrapped thread up snug with the thin end of the grip to help ramp it up. While I have never done this with cork, I have achieved some excellant results with wood where I sanded down the thin area before wrapping thread. (I turn it down first with my wood lathe, then finish it off with sandpaper on my rod wrapper) I have used Andy Dear's new mandrels with great success with mahogany on on 3/8 inch dia butt rods on 16 mm reel sets. (The reel seat is also wood)

You can take this for what it is worth from a "green horn"

Mike, I'm retired too and only my wife tells me what to do. At least she is going to let me go to Charlotte, but she hasn't given me my allowance yet. . See you in Charlotte!!

Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster