I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL Weave
Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:37PM

I'm looking into trying my first weave. I watched Doc Ski's DVD and have been reading as much as possible. I wrap mostly medium-light to ultra-light blanks. I'm still not clear on how I should proceed in order to maintain aspect ratio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL Weave
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 02:47PM

Leon; I'm not quite sure what you are referring to in your question when you say aspect ratio. The blank circumference will limit the number of design threads in your patterns but the aspect ratio (length to width) of the design is taken care of in the pattern or by the size of the wrapping thread to the design thread. I use a wrapping thread at least one size larger than the Design thread. Jim Kastorff uses a pattern program that lets him use threads of the same size. Jeff Vadakin puts in additional wraps of the wrapping (background ) thread through the pattern to make the adjustment.

Most patterns will tell you what the approximate finished size of the weave will be using threads of a given size. From that you should be able to tell if it fits the blank you want to put it on.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:49PM

Leon, I am retired and have time on my hands and this may not apply to you. However, I have started doing some weaves on wooden dowels to see how the patterns will look. These weaves are one color thread for the pattern and one for the background so that they don't take too much time. That process gives me an idea as to what size thread to use when weaving on a rod. I have several sizes of dowels that I practice on.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 09:10PM

Hi Leon,
I am learning to weave myself and I would suggest that you want to keep the number of design
threads 40 or less depending on the size of the thread you are useing. I have been trying to
complete some letters consisting of 28 size A metallic threads and the letters are about 1/4in
tall and about the same width. That would be just about as big as you would want on a U/L
blank. Also, avoid metallic thread until you get the nack of weaving I've found that mettalics have
some funny quirks and have caused me a few headaches! Doc has helped me a lot! Email him!
I also am available. If I can help I will but like I said, I'm learning myself.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster