I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KlassKote and transparent wraps...
Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.88.---)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:18PM

After much studying of existing threads I've decided to employ klass kote as a wrap finish, for both guides and ferrule.

in an effort to keep things light i've ordered pearsall's gossamer white silk thread to use as a ferrule wrap for my Dan Craft sig V 5 wt blank. If i understand the method correctly i should be able to cover the silk wrap with klasskote and achieve a completely transparent finish.

i've ordered the same silk thread in dark claret to wrap the guides - single foot SIC titaniums. I'm led to believe that i should use a color perserver in order to make the color fast/solid, as opposed to translucent.

it remains a bit unclear about how one should go about this. I've got tru-oil if i'm required to treat the white gossamer thread first with oil in order to achieve pure transparency... or... merely coat with klasskote to achieve the same thing.

i'm without a color perserver at this time. i'm holding off until i'm sure which type/variety i should use.

thanks for any enlightenment on this topic.

marc forrest

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KlassKote and transparent wraps...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:58PM

Don't put Tru-Oil on your thread. Just apply the paint (Klass Kote) directly to your white silk. It will turn nearly transparent. There may be a very slight color cast compared to the naked blank but it won't be much.

On the other thread, if you do not use CP the Klass Kote will turn it seomwhat transparent but it will have a much darker cast.

Date: February 04, 2006 02:32PM

Thanks Tom

points taken...

i'm in the process of ordering the klasskote however it is not immediately apparent which B epoxy i should order to get a water clear finish.

i understand i'll order klasskote clear #40 part A epoxy

but should i order klasskote GLOSS B catalyst #405

or...

klasskote primer catalyst #415?

thanks again.

marc

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2006 05:41PM

Just ask them - tell them what you're using it for and they'll get you what you need.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 07:42PM

Hi Marc,

I've used Klass Kote a couple of times and it works great but there is a big dowside to using it. The smell. Be sure to use in a well ventilated area or you can get a buzz on. Reminded me of the 60's (what I can remember of them). No really it can cause a severe headacke as well as other problems.

Also follow the mixing instructions. I tried to mix it by using my epoxy mixer (not following the instructions) and the mixture got so hot it melted the plactic mixing cup. What a mess that was.

Happy wrapping

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 09:58PM

You might want to look into Any's new clear Thread Master. I usually get a golden color from epoxies when coating cork handles, but this stuff does not tint it at all. Totally clear. Might be good for those clear wraps ??

Date: February 04, 2006 11:50PM

Thank you all for your input...

i'll heed your advise.

I hope to blog this adventure with illustrations next month...

cheers!

marc

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 10:38AM

Marc. Sorry to not answer your email, but the computer was down. The KK can be mixed in the regular mixing cups, or the medicine cups from the pharmacy. If you do a lot of rods, the REI drip bottles can make for easy dispensing. What I do is take 2 glass medicine droppers and mark them with a Sharpie 1/2 way up. Write Gloss on one above the line, Catalyst on the other. Two 1/2 droppers each into the mixing cup. Buy the reducer and with a 3rd dropper [markered thinner] put some reducer in another cup. You can clean your droppers in the extra cup, good enough for several applications anyway. For your first batch of paint, stir and apply when it is still ultrathin. The white silk will disappear. For your second coat, let the mixture sit for 45 minutes to thicken a bit. You should get by with 2 coats total. I would think that the silk would be enough to protect the ferrules.

Date: February 07, 2006 11:57AM

Thanks Don!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster