I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank painting
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (68.249.4.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 04:27PM

I've been screwing around for some time now trying to find a good way to color blanks. I 've expended just about all the time & money I intend to but I just have not come up with a solution I am happy with. Anybody out there do or know of somebody who does custom painting on blanks. I'm not looking for anything very fancy, solid colors, gloss or semi-gloss finish.

Thanks

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank painting
Posted by: Joe Preast (---.18.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 04:54PM

Shoot me an email about what you want. I own a paint and body shop.
HAGO!
Joe

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.115.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 04:59PM

I've used spray paint designed for PVC & plastics. Works like any other spray paint, so watch out for too much coverage that leads to drip "bulges" in the finish. They were a pain to remove...it required light sanding & recoating. On one rod I left it as is when dry, on another I gave it a quick & light coat of Permagloss to protect the paint. I wish I could report to you if the Permagloss coat was worth it or not... the paint-only rod has not been fished yet.

Tim

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.115.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 04:59PM

I've used spray paint designed for PVC & plastics. Works like any other spray paint, so watch out for too much coverage that leads to drip "bulges" in the finish. They were a pain to remove...it required light sanding & recoating. On one rod I left it as is when dry, on another I gave it a quick & light coat of Permagloss to protect the paint. I wish I could report to you if the Permagloss coat was worth it or not... the paint-only rod has not been fished yet.

Tim

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 06:49PM

I use PlastiKote or Duplicolor automotive touch up paint and clear coat. I scrape all the existing finish off using a paint scraper single edge razor held perpendicular (don't slice). I insert an old piece of scap blank into the female ferrule or butt end and use it with some mono to hang the blank from a rafter in my shop. I apply one coat that is thin but throughly covers the blank. When completely dry I wet sand with 1500 paper soaked in a solution of warm water and Dawn (this is tip from here on the board). Then I use very fine 3M rubbing compound. I then apply the clear coat using the same method, except after the rubbing compound I use McQuiaer's (never can remember the spelling) ScratchX. After the ScratchX I thoroughly clean with water.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 07:30PM

Jim,
If you're coming down to Charlotte stop by and chat with me.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 07:58PM

Have you tried the instructions in the library article?
Also, you can get CTS blanks custom colored.
Talk to Andy Dear!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 08:10PM

Jim,
Lamiglas now offers blanks that are painted a variety of different colors for a smll charge.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:04PM

See Ken Preston. He taught me how to do it last year at Charlotte. Very easy do it yourself method! (The only problem is, is his expensive glitter) Very impressive!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:26PM

I agree with Steve Rushing with prep and Plistik-cote. Prep is the key. Use 1000 to 2000 wet dry auto sandpaper befoer spraying. used spar varnish as top coat. finished ok but would try same clear coat manafacturer as color. feel it will be a harder cover. Hope this helps. Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster