I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bug/nymph storing question
Posted by: Dan Colville (136.183.157.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 01:55PM

I noticed some amazing use of bugs and nymphs in the photogallery. I tried last winter to capture and use black stonefly (size 14-16) but couldnt figure out what chemical to put them in or if i shoud just put them in a jar. They are usually on the snow and are very delicate. Should they be completely dried before i put them under epoxy.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bug/nymph storing question
Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:59PM

Are you talking about the schuck or the live bug? Either way, just plain ol alcohol will work just fine. But the shucks can be sprayed with a bit of shellac or something similar and just kept in a box.

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Joe Emig (---.224.234.2.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 05:35PM

Dan, Check this site [www.ento.csiro.au] I think it will give you everything you need.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 05:41PM

"Insects and their allies" I think I've seen everthing now.

Posted by: Adam S. Hoelper (---.115.52.168.res-cmts.mtp.ptd.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 06:06PM

Good preservation of insect requires the use of formalin. The formalin with tuffen up the flesh of the insect, alcohol turns the flesh into muss after a while but works also. Often the addition of glycerin is helpful, because if the insect is left out or the bottle leaks the glycerin will help to keep the insect from drying out.
Glycerin can be found at most craft stores in the candy and cake making section
A good mix is ethyl alcohol (70%) and add 5% by volume glycerin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 09:04PM by Adam S. Hoelper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster