I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just finished my first rod!
Posted by: Jeff Duncan (65.164.115.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 11:16AM

Last night I finished my first rod ! Wow what a feeling of pride and accomplishment. I rememebr having a simialr feeling the first time I built a deck. With the help and advice of many of you, I was able to complete the rod even with a false start (not adding enough hardner to the epoxy). While I certainly see the imperfections, I'm happy with the out come for my first attempt. Next time I will know how to improve upon the small suttleties that make a difference.

The only thing I have not done yet is cement the reel seat butt cap in place. I have been holding off because I want to put a fighting butt on this 7wt. On my 6 wt I simply slid a rubber fighting butt over the butt of the rod and it works great. For this rod I am toying with the idea of putting a cork butt on. What is holding me back is knowing how to get the proper fit for the butt. Since I have to mail order everything for rod building, I don't know how to get the right size fighting butt for the rod. I don't know the inside diameter of the rod blank butt or the diameter of the reel seat tube.

Any (simple) suggestions for a fighting butt?

Thanks for all your help - My rod would have been a mess with out it (some of you craftsman may think it is a mess now anyway !!)
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just finished my first rod!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2006 12:33PM

Some seats are made to accept commercially made fighting butts. What type seat do you have? You might want to call your supplier and discuss this with them.

You can also run a sleeve inside the blank butt and build a short fighting butt on that. Lots of options here.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 12:37PM

Congratulations on your first rod.
Wait till you catch a fish on it. There’s something magical about catching fish on rods you’ve built.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 03:05PM

I'm afraid there's no hope for you now!! Once you catch that first fish on it, your addiction will really kick in. Life as you now know it will no longer exist!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 11:01PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 06:08PM

Jeff....you forgot something......you forgot to post a picture of it. ;)

I have added added fighting butts to my flyrods very easily. Call the supplier you usually deal with. Tell them the seat you have. More than likely there is a threaded plug that will fit the butt of the seat perfectly. Glue it in using rod bond or whatever you use. May have to cut away part of the blank inside to accept the plug. Buy a threaded end fighting butt and your done. You can also get a cap to go in the end of the seat when not using the fighting butt. Give your supplier a call. They'll help you out chossing the parts.

Steve

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:40PM

Hi Jeff,
The Batson fighting butt hardware is part no's FB2PI-B (black) and FB2PI-SG (shiney gunsmoke)\
There 3 pieces to each set. 1)plug for reel seat 2)threaded insert that is epoxied to seat
3) threaded bold to attach to fighting butt.

Good Luck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster