I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are Dan Craft FT's easy to cast?
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:23PM

I have read here that the FT's are comparable to the TCR's and also read that the TCR's are a tough rod to cast less experienced casters, so does that mean the the FT's are difficult also, or are they a little more forgiving?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are Dan Craft FT's easy to cast?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:40PM

All fly rods are exceptionallly easy to cast if you have the right line for the distance you're casting and fishing. There is nothing difficult about casting a TCR - nothing at all. But few fishermen use them at the distances they were designed to be used at by the manufacturer. This is a problem with many fly rods but it's a problem of using the wrong line rather than any inherent in the design of the rod.

The Dan Crafts are also very easy to cast, if you have the right line on them. Same can be same for any other fly rod.

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.nelson.netidea.bc.ca)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:56PM

Dean, I have FT 10 ft 5wt, I have never cast a TCRso can,t compare to that. I have a 9ft 6in Loomis GL3,was my favorite, Ft is better for both distance and presentation, in my opinion, have used them side by side same line same flys.I built aFT9ft 2wt and a 9ft 7 wt, but is still frozen up here,did use 2wt for 1-2 hrs with 3wt line last fall,seemed to blast it out, but would like more time with it for fair reply. The 7wt has never been on water, but put most of wt fr line in air with elastics and tape holding guides on.I ,m not a great caster,or fisherman either, but think most people would like these rods, 9ft is faster than 10ft I would say, look forward to comments from rest of Board. Daryl

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:10PM

The timing is much easier to get down on the FTs...the TCR is a *real* pain to get just right. That said, I wouldn't give a FT to a beginner or even a low intermediate...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:57AM

If you check the CCS data site it shows ERN and AA figures for a TCR as well as the FT's. You will see that these figures are similar but the modulus may vary to the extent that the resonant frequency data won't be as similar. The Sage rod shown indicates that it would cast a greater length of 8# line than most rods rated as 8's but may need a 9 or 10# line to load it at average casting distances.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: February 02, 2006 11:07AM

Take a beginner, hand him a TCR and move up 2 lines sizes. He'll find it very easy to cast and mention how sweet it feels. Proper line matching for the individual and the distances he casts and fishes is the key to getting any rod to perform. The TCR is not something radically different from any other rod - it's still just a tublar shaft. It doesn't work or do anything different. But they're generally labeled for lines used at great distances. Guys fishing shorter or even average distances and using the rated lines often say they're hard to cast. No wonder.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:30PM

Thanks guys. A FT 907 or a Lamiglas XMG 908 is on my to build list this year for a bass/northern pike rod for fishing in natural lakes in Michigan. I appreciate the input.

Dean

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:31PM

Disagree with you on that last one Tom...

The TCR is a real broomstick no matter what you line it with. I buy into the CC data as much as anyone, but I still feel that the TCR is a real dog. There's a reason why Sage doesn't push them in their marketing and why you don't see folks fishing them very often.

One thing the CC system doesn't account for real well is the distribution of flex along the blank. The FT, for example, flexes very slightly through the butt and mid, and only really begins to get soft in the last 1' or so. The TCRs that I've cast all have a strange hinge effect near the tip-- a stiff butt and mid, then about 1.5' from the tip, they get really soft. The last 6" or so is fairly stiff again. With the two rods side by side, you'd get the same AA and ERN but they're quite different casting beasts.

I don't know if you ever saw the old Rio Accelerator Spey lines... they had a thing called a 'power hinge' which in the hands of a capable caster, would really help launch the line. Problem was, they were such a pain to get the timing down on (very unforgiving), that Rio finally decided to discontinue them due to the amount of returns and complaints they got on the line.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: February 02, 2006 03:10PM

I've taken two fellows that had TCRs and didn't like them, relined them, and now they fish with them all the time. They say the rods have come alive and that they love them. That's all I can tell you.

Posted by: John Wagner (---.an1.sfo17.da.uu.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 10:03PM

I have an ft903 and am building a 1008 with a switch handle for pike and learning to spey. I have test cast a tcr I think 905 at a show. I would probably classifly as a beginner or not very accomplished caster. I also own about 4 "slower" rods. I love to practice casting, I can get really into it, but it seems the harder I try while practicing, the worse I get. I can honestly say when I am concentrating on a fish, the line does what I want, and I hit my target. I have noticed with the FT (throwing a 4 wt line), if I try a really light grip and try to cast a big 'ol sloppy loop that barely turns over, I get the most beautiful casts of any of the rods I have. Which "shouldn't" be right, but I think if you work with a rod a bit, you'll figure out how you and it can become a team. And I can fish small flies in pretty windy conditions with the FT. I really like that rod, and I think the 1008 will be a favorite as well (which is probably more than half the battle).

So more directly, I was able to cast the tcr, and I have learned to love the ft using a light touch--I like the ft better. If you want one, get one, you'll figure out how to cast it.

John

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 07:28PM

I have never cast the Sage TCR so I can't comment on how it might compare to a Dan Craft FT. My experience with my FT 863-4 tells me that it casts a four weight double taper nicely on the somewhat large streams I fish with the FT.

One day while I was at streamside reviving a nice trout a friend waded out into the current with my FT and cast to a rising trout - With an incredulous look on his face he turned to me and said "This rod casts itself".

Jeff Shafer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster