I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guides?
Posted by: Todd Theodore (69.4.4.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 02:34PM

I'm wondering if single foot fly rod guides aren't superior to using double footed snake guides. They require half as much wrap & finish which helps with overall weight. I have them on rods and they're great. But, are they weaker or less efficient in some way? Or, why else don't you find any of the higher end fly rod manufacturers utilizing them? (I think I did see some St. Croix's with them). Also, are the single footed fly guides with inserts even a better option? It seems they would be heavier. But, from what I read, they're not. It seems that they would allow for better and more free line feed. And this may seem crazy, what about a single footed spinning guide as the first stripper guide? Maybe even offset to allow for better line feed. Any wisdom on these questions would be appreciated.

Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guides?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 02:42PM

Todd,

Many builders use SF ceramic guides as well as SF spinning guides for stripper on fly rods (myself included). Being a novice fly fisherman, I don't have the experience or casting ability to make valid comparisons, but, personally, that's all I would ever use.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Collier (---.pa-nj.hfc.comcastbusiness)
Date: February 01, 2006 04:25PM

Todd, I just built a 10wt. fly rod using American tackle Titan single foot fly guides and it casts great. I think the raeson componys use snake guides is because of tradition. Fly fish think fly rods have to have snakes guides or it won't work right. Mike

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 04:29PM

i have fly rods with all types of guides. for four wt and above i think single foot ceramics are very good. on light rods i use snakes or single foot wire such as REC recoil titanium wire gudes. these are available in single foot and snake. i have a 10 foot 6wt with fuji titanium single foot ceramics and the rod can really reach out there.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 05:48PM

A number of rods are now coming out this year with single foot wire guides, G. Loomis, St. Croix and even Cabela's has 2006 fly rods with them. Haven't seen any with ceramic single foot yet but am sure they will come. They are finding out what rod builders have known for years and are finally catching up.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:01PM

I've gone to putting single foot ceramics on all the rods build from 5 wts on up....

I have built a 7 wt with single foot Ti's...and thought they were quite nice...but I do like the ceramics better. Smooth, quiet, seem slick.

On my personal favorite 4 wt I have double footed snakes....I did want it to look traditional. I love that rod and the guides certainly don't handicap it any.

Have also used single-foot wires on some lite st rods. Worked just fine.

Single foots do reduce the amount of wraps..which is nice. Use the Forhan wrap and you'll have no problem with durability.

Unless you want the traditional look...which is a valid deal...I think single foot ceramics are the way to go on anything 5 wt and over.

Keith

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:49PM

Todd,

I build lots of fly rods. I use only single foot ceramic guides on them.

I personaly don't care about what looks 'traditional', which, as Keith noted, can certainly be a criteria. If a customer wants such a rod, I redirect him to someone who builds antique replicas. Lots of folks still doing that.

I like to build high performance fly rods made with modern materials to get every possible advantage to the fisherman. I like them pretty and efficient.

Modern ceramic insert guides work on any weigh fly rod, are superior in any measureable way to bent pieces of wire, and they look good too!

Not knocking 'traditional', just feel that we can do better if we choose to. Only if, of course, that's what YOU want. The better we can do may be overkill, may not be neccessary, but some folks like it that way, others don't.

As far as 'offsetting' the stripper goes, it's been done with no mearsurable benefit. You'd 'think' it would help, but it just doesn't gain you anything.

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

p.s., by the way, I just re did an old cane rod will all brand new, modern, ceramic insert single foot guides. Those nice looking titanium frame ones with the green colored ceramic rings. Thing came out really pretty and casts like a rocket....@#$%&

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:25AM

I'm in agreement with Buddy. I recently built a 6 1/2', 2# fly rod and test casted it with a ceramic stripper and a ceramic tip top with all other guides being single foot wire. I then replaced the single foot wire guides with ceramics at a cost of 9 grains of weight but I sure like it better when casting. I'm spoiled by the ceramics and it is hard to return to yesterdays technology. The ceramic tip top by the way was actually lighter than the wire tip top.
My story and I'm sticking to it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster