I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Art in Charlotte
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:16PM

I realize that only a small percentage of the overall custom rod craft is involved in decorative thread art. But those who do practice it are passionate about it. The National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte, NC next month offers an unparalled opportunity to view and learn from some of the best in the business. Some of the best of all time, actually.

The NERBS booth will likely have some sort of thread work taking place all day, both days. Most of you have seen the work from Billy Vivona and Michael Joyce and this is an opportunity to pick their brains and watch them work. One of the very reasons they're attending is to work with other builders in the area of thread art. Don't miss this opportunity to get hands-on instruction from two extremely accomplished thread artists - how often does such an opportunity present itself? (Other great thread artists may be in the NERBS booth as well - I just don't have their names in front of me.)

Mark Crouse and Jim Upton are two of the best thread artists there have ever been. And, both will be at the Show and will be presenting seminars on various aspects of thread art. Cross-wrapping or weaving, take your pick. At other times, Mark will be in the Batson Enterprises booth and Jim can be found in the Renzetti booth. Just two more extremely talented thread artists who will be happy to answer individual questions. Just look them up and ask. (I hope Jim brings the little green dragon head weave - it's one of the most amazing thread weaves I have ever seen, and I've seen plenty.)

Hiro Tanaka is sending some rods to the show again this year. One big difference this time, however... HE'S COMING WITH THEM! Anyone that has seen Hiro's work has to know that he is one of the top thread artists of all time. His English is not too good, but is certainly better than my Japanese. This is just one more unique opportunity to view some truly amazing thread art and talk to the man behind it.

If there has ever been a greater assortment of thread art talent assembled in one place at one time, I guess I missed it. And, there'll certainly be plenty of other talented thread artists attending and willing to answer questions as well. Just one more reason to attend the world's largest and grandest rod building event of all time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 09:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Art in Charlotte
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:38PM

Okay I apologize if I left anybody out. There are just too many to remember, but if I have this even close to right you've got-

For Thread Art - Jim Upton, Hiro Tanaka, Mark Crouse, Billy Vivona and Michael Joyce.

For Woodwork - Andy Dear, Mark Crouse, Tom Kirkman

For Grip and Seat Work - Mike Barkley, Bill Stevens, Joe Emig, Tom Kirkman

For epoxy and Adhesive Work - Ralph O'Quinn - who else do you need?

For Bass Rods stuff - Rich Forhan, Bill Colby

For Marbeling - Randy Putter Parpart

For Common Cents - Dr. Bill Hanneman - the inventor

For any idiotic rod building question that needs answering - Tom Kirkman

I'm sure I"m leaving out a bunch of people but these came to mind just now. I don't think anybody could bring even their most difficult question or problem to Charlotte and leave without it having been fully answered.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:41PM

...and the NERBs booth will have some samples of Doc Ski's work, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:49PM

Actually, Dr. Hanneman won't be on tap this year. I expect him to return next year, however. Any CCS questions can come to me and I'll do my best to instruct and answer.

I have to try and keep the program fresh. This entails removing some seminars and replacing them with new ones each year. We'll bring some back every other year and continue to add new ones as we go along. I just don't want to do the exact same ones, year after year after year. So I'll keep mixing them up each year.

Forgot to mention that Steve Rajeff will be on hand as well. Many of you will recognize him as a many time international casting champion. I've seen him cast before and can assure you that it's pretty amazing.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:51PM

Wish Doc could make it out. He'd have a great time and I know many of us would like to meet him.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 02:56PM

Also in the NERBs booth will be Sean Endres - while he hasn't been building for a long period of time, and rarely posts on the Main Forum here, his Thread Skills and color selection are worth a stop by the booth - just bring your sunglasses. We'll all be sitting in the booth doing some sort of Dec Wrap - and will field all questions...but you gotta ask.

I'm looking foward to meeting Hiro. I was fortuante to see a couple of his rods last year which Tom had, I cannot wait to see what he's been up to recently. This is really going to be a lot of fun, I can't wait.

Mark Crouse - if you read this - I still have the middle of your beard, I hope you have the outside of mine!!! lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 05:35PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 05:55PM

I'm humbled to be added to this "thread" thread. It was the builders on this list and some others, that inspired me, and I'm looking forward to meeting them and thanking them in person.

The NERBS booth will have an active lathe throughout the weekend for anyone interested in decorative wraps. You put an active lathe in front of a bunch of rodbuilders...you never know what might spring up. I also invited Hiro Tanaka to do the final guide wrap on the SW Global Rod..(we'll play that one by ear.)

It would be great to have Doc Ski in Charlotte ...for those interested in seeing some more of his work, we'll have an audio/visual set up, showing "slide show" with 430 samples of Docs various thread art endevours over the years.

...and maybe a few new wraps, for those that may be interested.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 06:23PM

Michael - I can see it now! A large crowd gathered with most of the top knotch artisans in the world present intently watching Billy V's fingers manipulating thread into a fine pattern. Billy looks up and spots Jesse B in the crowd and breaks into a big smile. Billy says - Hi Jesse did you bring one of your loaded speed boxes? Jesse nods and pulls out a funny looking box from under his coat loaded with 18 spools of black, red and silver thread. Billy - show them how! Jesse - OK - Five minutes later a butt wrap is done and everyone is standing there wondering what will happen next in the thread work capital of the world booth!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 06:55PM

....Jessy would be handed a sharp blade and be politely asked to "do it again".

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 07:17PM

Jesse will pull his 18 spool box out, and I'll pull out my 96 spool box. lol.

Posted by: Sean Endres (69.177.45.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 07:30PM

I am proud to say that I will be in the North East Rod Builders booth along with Billy and Mike, the two guys whose wraps have inspired me to start wrapping. In the short time that I have been wrapping, Billy and Mike have helped me tremendously, I can not thank them enough.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in Charlotte, can't wait!!

Sean Endres

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:13PM

I see a need, in the not too distant future, for a Day 3 of the National Rod Builders Show.

PK

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.106.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:17PM

Pete...that day came last year!

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:18PM

Boku wa nihongo hanishimasu ..... translation services available!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:26PM

To do it justice, it needs to be 3 days! Just not enough time to do it all

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:50PM

My heart and mind will be directed to all of you in Charlotte as unless there is a miracle I will
miss being there in person this year. However, from a very thoughtful rodbuilder I now have a
bunch of photos taken at last years event that I can view and project my thoughts to NC. LOL!

Tom,
Ever give any thoughts to setting up a web cam?

Oh well, maybe next year. No not maybe, definatly!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:51PM

Ken- let me guess...... Talk rod building, swill brewskis, tell fishing lies.

PK

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:01PM

Mochiron! (yes, of course)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster