I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod for 3-5 lbs trouts
Posted by: Pascal Ritzer (---.dilax.ch)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:30AM

Hey there,
I'm looking for the right fly rod blank for big trouts, small salmons and so on.
What would you recomend me?

9'00'' an 7wt?

I thought building it with the new RX7+ from Rainshadow or someone has a good alternative?

thanks for supporting me

Pascal Ritzer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod for 3-5 lbs trouts
Posted by: Lance Black (168.8.176.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:38AM

i regularly catch 5-9 lbs trout here in North Georgia's Soque river, on my 4 wt. i would suggest a 4 or 5wt. i have a Rainshadow RX7+ 5wt and it is awesome!! it casts great!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:46AM

Depends on river level and current speed. Also you wish to catch Salmon, that takes it up a knotch. A good Coho or small King will go 12# then adjust for current. If it was stictly 3-5# stream trout, I'd go as low as a 5wt and lake run Steelhead are a different story. I like 7wt for low water Steelhead 8 for high water or Salmon in the mix

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:32AM

A 9', 6# rod should cover your range as good as any.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w83-205.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:32PM

Pascal,
have you received my last message, I didn't get any reply...

Frantz

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:35PM

Pascal,

First, decide what the heaviest tippet you will need to use.

Buy a rod that is strong enough so that the tippet is the weak link.

Trout or salmon, even big ones, can be landed on just about any rod weight, given the right fish fighting abilities and things like a good drag and enough backing. What you have to consider when buying a fly rod are things like fly size/weight against average casting distances, the effects or lack thereof of the wind, the type of water you fish, and your personal abilities regarding all of this.

I'd happily attack trout to 5 pounds or larger on the San Juan with a 3 wt. (and do so) without expecting any difficulties. Light tippets, tiny flies, 'pet' fish, and open water. A 3 wt. would not be a good choice for flinging large streamers at browns from a drift boat on the Animas. All depends on the situation.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Pascal Ritzer (---.dilax.ch)
Date: January 31, 2006 03:20AM

Thanks for your answers.
Nobody has an alternative for a Rainshadow Blank?

@Frantz,
Yes i think i got your last e-mail.
I was bussy the last weeks so i'm sorry, i didn't answer.

Pascal

Posted by: Mike Anderson (209.64.87.---)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:15AM

DanCraft 5 or 6wt sig V.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster