I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forham wrap
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:29AM

I am placing black Fuji Alconite single foot guides on a 9' fly rod. I'm not at home now to say for sure, but I'm having the hardest time using the Forham wrap on the larger guides, I think they're the size 8 or 10 single foot guides (BLAG). I have no trouble performing the wrap on the smaller guides. Anyone have this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forham wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:32AM

I don't think of size 8 and 10 guides as being large. The wrap is performed the same way so I'm not sure what area is giving you problems. I assume you took a look at the online library for the photos of how it's done?

Date: January 30, 2006 09:43AM

Hi Tom! Yes, I used the article in the library, that's how I learned it. It seems that I can't get the thread to go under the back of the guide, for the Forham wraps to snug together. I've tried to use a burnisher to push them together but they won't stay. Do you think I'm wrapping too far up the guidefoot? The method works great for me otherwise.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:59AM

If you can put a picture up. It's easy on any size guide so you got to be doing some thing wrong ??? Just do the same as the smaller guides ??
If the thread will not move your tension may be to tight ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 10:01AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:02AM

Maybe. You want to do one blocking wrap past the guide leg before you start the locking wraps. I don't have trouble getting it to close well so you may indeed be wrapping to far up the guide leg which is going to push the first blocking wrap out a bit. Try backing off a couple or three turns and trying again.

Remember, you never want to wrap "up" the guide leg - you want the wrap flat and once the thread starts climbing up the leg, you've gone too far. There were some good photos of this in a recent issue of RodMaker if you have it handy. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd issue of last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 10:03AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 30, 2006 10:26AM

Well, guys from your posts I'm pretty certain that I must have wrapped up the guide leg. I'll re-wrap the guides tonight and let you know how I make out tomorrow. I do have those issues of RodMaker. I don't throw any of those away. Thanks for your help!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:31AM

Starting the Forhan wrap as soon as the guide foot allows room for a blocking wrap ahead of the guide that will pack tight with the previous wraps is the key. The guide foot actually needs to be lifting from the blank slightly to make this first blocking wrap.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 11:05AM

Stan, I may be miunderstanding what you said.

"The guide foot actually needs to be lifting from the blank slightly to make this first blocking wrap."

You want the guide foot flat on the blank. If your's are lifting off, something is wrong.

Or are you saying "at the point were the foot turns up toward the ring slightly is were you want to make your first wrap?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 02:05PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 11:14AM

Steve,
You word it better than I! I'll go with your explanation.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: January 30, 2006 11:19AM

Stan! I understood what you said. I'm a novice, but I'm smart enough to realize, that nothing should be lifting from the blank. LOL!

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 07:12PM

I was having the same trouble until I saw Bill Boettcher's picture of his wrapping maching with the 'screen door spring'; that really helps. This lets you go around the guide and keep the thread just right. Thanks Bill.

rhr

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster