I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madiera thread users
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:24AM

I have decided to try and overcome my color preserver phobia but I want to start using Madiera threads. I have just a few questions:

1. Where is the best place to buy Madiera threads?
2. What is your favorite color preserver? BTW, is the preserver on the Flexcoat site the 811 preserver so many people use?
3. What is the preferred technique for proper coverage?...one flood coat, one lite coat, several lite coats, thinned preserver, etc. etc.?

I know these are probably eye rolling simple questions but I really have a BIG fear of using color preserver on a wrap which took hours or even days to finish only to be cut off because of not applying color preserver correctly.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the stupid questions,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madiera thread users
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:40AM

Steve,

Just finished my first rod using madiera thread and it turned out great. I got my thread from:

[www.allstitch.net]

I like using the acrylic color preservers and I use Brilliance. I used just a good flood coat and had no problems at all.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:56AM

The 811 is made by Gudebrod and I pefer it over the Flex-coat
1 good coat workd best for me just make sure you get full coverage

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:50AM

I use at least two coats of Gudebrod 811 color preserver and then a coat of Permaglos before the finish. I do not like to thin the CP but will add a few drops of denatured alcohol if the stuff is too thick. Depending on availability and how soon you need thread I order mine from Madeira (1100 meter spools) or buy the regular spools from a store that carries what I want if I'm in a hurry.

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.212.148.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 08:11PM

I use to use just CP and took Jim U's advice and applied a coat of Permagloss before the finish on my last metalic job, didn't even have to move the finish around.

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:57PM

I've been using Flexcoat CP over Madiera and haven't had any problems yet. I put 2-3 coats on and then finish.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 03:31PM

Thanks for all the input. Gonna give it a whirl and expect the worse...that way I won't be disappointed. LOL

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Derek McMaster (70.130.116.---)
Date: January 31, 2006 11:44PM

I use Madeira almost exclusively and use Flex-Coat (thinned 50%) or Future Acrylic as a cp. In a pinch I have been know to use a high quality white glue diluted with water as a cp as well. I am also experimenting with Coates&Clark Trilobal threads as they DO NOT have any lubricants added to them and so far they work well.

Derek

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster