I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather inlays - problems, need help
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:44PM

I've done some inlays with stiff jungle cock feathers with good results.
Now it's first time I try lay a cock hackle. I have problems to separate the fine fibres when they are wet from the CP. Always a few feathers are sticking together. Is the art to lay them into the CP without the fibres stacking togehter or is it to separate the fibres after laying them in CP?
Thanks.
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather inlays - problems, need help
Posted by: Terry Henson (63.168.104.---)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:20PM

Stefan,

This is what I do and I hope it helps.

First of all, I use Permagloss and I have never used CP to inlay a feather. Therefore, I am not sure what the feathers are doing and I can't correct it because I am unfamiliar with the behavior of a feather subjected to CP.

With permagloss, I place a small amount on the spot on the rod (using a needle) where I want to inlay the feather. Using the wet needle, I touch the feather (which has been prepared / trimmed) which now sticks to the needle.

Position the feather where you want to lay it on the rod and gently touch it to the rod where you put the permagloss. It will now stick to the rod. Then I wet the needle in permagloss and touch the areas of the feather that are not adhering to the rod until it is fully down on the rod.

The hard part..........If the feather did not lay down perfectly straight, with the barbs positioned as perfectly as possible, then you work it and work it with the needle till it is in perfect shape and straight.

TIP (BUT BE CAREFULL) I use the float method to move the barbs of the feathers sometimes. I will flood a small area of a feather that is mis-behaving with permagloss and the feather will actually float on the rod for a few moments. During this time I can usually position a stubborn feather in to place perfectly......USUALLY! Sometimes feathers are too crooked or messed up to work on a rod and I have to start over.

Good Luck Terry

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:08PM

Terry,
I recently recieved your PDF tutorial from Bob Cook and I noticed a cone or funnel shaped area
on your rod just above the grip where you apply the in-lay. Is that all thread or did you build up the
area with epoxy? A nice touch!

Thanks for re-posting your gallery I really enjoyed viewing it!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:10PM

It does seem that some feathers that have a 'split' somewhere in them have taken on such a set or a bend, similar to a bamboo rod, that it's really difficult to close that gap. SOMETIMES the feather's split area can be 'held' closed with a tool while the medium used to lay them sets up... sometimes...

Like Terry, sometimes I have to just strip it off and start all over with a different feather.

lottsa fun,

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:15PM

I use CP for my feathers. I put a coat of thined CP on place the feather on it. Then with a flexcoat yellow finish brush I brush the feather from butt to tip seperating the barbs. takes a little practice.
Some times I only put the tip of the feather on, when set, then put more CP and the rest of the feather.

Posted by: Terry henson (63.168.104.---)
Date: January 29, 2006 06:20PM

Raymond,

That is what I call a "Swelled Butt." ............Ever time I mention swelling the butt of a rod, my wife (god love her) gives me a really dirty look.......don't know why?

Bascially, you build up epoxy next to the handle and sand it to shape and wrap thread over it to get the look. I have a instructional on it somewhere and I'll see if I can find it. If not, I am making a few new rods and I will make another one for you.

Terry

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 06:45PM

Thanks Terry,

Learn something new every day ! Looking forward to it!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Michael Markey (12.178.27.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 02:54PM

I also use CP as an adhesive, thinned with wood alchohol to the consistancy of water. I dunk the feather in and the place it as carefully as i can, with a Flexcoat brush I spread out the hackle as much as posible then let it set up.
Let it dry then with straight wood alch. brush the fine hackle the way they should go. The whole feather will stay put and only the fibers you want to move will move. Works for me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 03:08PM

I do a lot of those on spinning rods also without a foregrip as well as fly rods and here is how I do it. I put the rod on my dryer and slightly raise the tip end. with the rod turning, i put gobs of 5 minute epoxy where the blank meets the foregrip. As the rod slowly turns, the epxy will flow smoothly creating a nice smooth ramp. You have to keep adding epoxy until you have enough to make the ramp that you want. The height of the tip end will pretty much determine the slope of the ramp. When it is dry, I just wrap up the ramp until I get to the foregrip and tape the thread end to the foregrip and apply finish, When dry, just trim off the excess thread end with a razor (you can also just add a drop of super glue to the end of the wrap).

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 05:33PM

Thanks Mike!

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster