I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multi use fly rod
Posted by: terry miller (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:29AM

What would be a good fly rod for use in both fresh and saltwater. The rod would be used mainly for saltwater. Someone had mentioned a 8wt rod would work probably the best for both applications.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi use fly rod
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:22AM

Terry,

It really depends on what species you will be targeting. There are thousands of saltwater game fish, and quite a few freshwater ones as well. There is no 'one rod' that will do for all of them, even marginally.

An 8 wt. is awfully heavy for most freshwater trout fishing, but is VERY light for things in the salt like Tarpon, sharks, or billfish. But, if the freshwtater is mostly bass, pike, or salmon, then an 8 might be just the ticket if your saltwater species are of the smaller variety.

A 6 wt. will work for almost all freshwater, and handle light saltwater chores like most inshore species, bones, etc..Again, too light for really big or really hard pulling fish in the salt.

It's a trade off.

Since I like to build rods, I'd never try to limit myself in this fashion. Owning a rod or two (or more) in just about all line weights seems the best way to go.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.115.---)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:41PM

I agree with Buddy. Have the right tool to do the job right. Perhaps when building rods that COULD be use in both salt & fresh, 8 wt and above or maybe 7, you could use salt safe reel seats of metal or ones with acrilic inserts. But I wouldn't count on a 7 or 8 wt rod to be much fun if you are throwing poppers for small pan fish or #18 dry flies for finicky trout. You will need the proper tool to handle a "job" like that (now THAT'S my kinda work!).

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: rusty berrier (---.nclxtn.infoave.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:29PM

for my area,Piedmont NC-a general purpose rod runs into the 8 1/2 5wt-9 6wt range.I took a 6 and an 8 on my first salt trip off Harker's Island/Cape Lookout area and was embarrassed.If you are talking about redfish and seatrout in the tidewater,an 8 is about the minimum to even consider-9 and 10 wts dominate my stuff for the salt-10 rods in all,6 10s and 4 9's.If you watch carefully, high end blanks come up around this time of year and if you don't go overboard on component cosmetics, i have to agree that you should do two rods.And be sure not to shortchange yourself on a reel for the salt,either.enjoy building them both!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster