I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

50# Seeker
Posted by: Harold Lang (70.134.217.---)
Date: January 28, 2006 11:33PM

I bought a 7' CJBF70H, for a 50# casting rod, and I'm just not feeling the love. It's a pretty stout graphite composite blank and a bit heavier than I wanted.
I'm thinking of taking 6" of the butt end and then doing a spiral / bumper guide wrap on it. It's purpose will be winging 4 oz wahoo bombs and jigs, with a Tiburon SST12HS auto shift, that works very well for the application.
Tuna sometimes jump the jigs, and the auto shift 2 speed comes into play then.
I fished the reel on a GFGR700H last year and found the rod a bit light when a tuna climbed on.
Any opinions and suggestions before I start the rod?

This will be my 4th wrap and first spiral wrap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 50# Seeker
Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ont)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:30AM

Just how much casting do you really do with wahoo bombs? If distance isn't an issue and the threat of big tuna is there, then you should look at the CJBF65H 30(40)50 or the CTS60XH 40(50)100. If you haven't already started to wrap or cut the CJBF70H, I'd trade it in for one of the shorter blanks, JMO. As far as the simple Acid wrap, I have been very successful with the LRSG/LBSG combo with the single foot boat guide, LBSG10 as the bumper up to 60# rods like the GF765M & th eCJBF65XH..

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:44PM

Harold,

Where are you located? We're in So. Cal. I've got several blanks that may fit your needs including some GUSA's and a Shikari that are VERY lightweight/small diameter if you'd like to come give them a pull. We stock the CJBF70H's as well and would have no problem giving you a credit on yours towards another blank.

If you're not in TOO big of a hurry, we should have the new Super Seeker version of your blank in the next 30-45 days. This will be a little lighter and smaller in diameter than the one you have in your hands for about 20% more $$, with their new Root Beer brown color. These ones are TOUGH too. Just about impossible to break.

By the way, Jim up there ^ wrote the book on heavy "@#$%&'s" IMO! Good advice from him on the set-up. Good to see you here Jim!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2006 02:50PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ont)
Date: January 29, 2006 06:52PM

Howzit Mark! I am glad to hear aobut the Super Seekers, the boys have been keeping "mum" on the the actual presentation dates! I'm on the list!
As much as I'd like to take the credit for all the Acid Rods hitting offshore on the West Coast, its been a collaborative effort! I just happen to lend the name, Acid Rods that fits the West Coast, specifically SoCal perfectly! LOL! Thanks anyways for the plug Mark! The rodbldr would have my hide if I took all the credit! *smirk*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster