I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Helmsman spray spar urethane
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.202.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 08:17AM

Any body using this for blanks ? How is the flexability and durebility of it ?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Helmsman spray spar urethane
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 10:27AM

I used to use it on reelseat inserts....it has an amber cast to it, but on wood sometimes that adds a bit of warmth. On a blank....maybe not so good unless it's a black or dark grey blank. CAn;t voch for durability and flexability. on a blank.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.202.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 10:33AM

I had sprayed it on a scrap piece of PVC and it seemed to be farly hard, and clear ??

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: January 28, 2006 12:19PM

So Andy, I noticed you said " used to" what type of finish do you use on your inserts nowadays ? Just curious.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.5.241.---)
Date: January 28, 2006 12:29PM

I have found that the spray spar will peel off without much effort. Don't even think about putting tape on the blank. Go to pull the tape off and the finish comes with it. I haven't had much sucess...but I may be in the minority on this one.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.15.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 12:48PM

Jay
Tried to scrap it off the PVC with my thumb nail and it will not come off. Seems hard ? Just tried a glass blank, want to see how flexible it may be ?

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 02:09PM

I tried the spray but did not like it, might be ok for a flat surface like a sign if you can spray it outside. IMHO much easier to use the regular stuff in the can and put it on with your fingers/ lint free rag/ or coffee filter. Have never been a fan of any paint in a spray can.

Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.60.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:08PM

You will get a more even and a flatter or level finish when spraying. Just have to be careful when doing it.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:39PM

I airbrush my spar. Mix it with naptha or mineral spirits until it is roughly the same consistency as skim milk and then spray in light coats letting each coat cure before spraying the next....The coffee filter thing works as well.

Derek

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 10:36PM

Tru-Oil

Andy

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 11:42PM

Andy,

When using Tru Oil, do you sand between coats and how many coats do you usually use?

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:17AM

Thought about tru oil Andy. But some say it's not a durable finish for blanks ? Wood, cork. most use it on.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:38AM

Bill,

I've not had decent results with the spray urethane. Seems I either get too much on, and it runs/sags, or I get too light and it textures on me.

I do like the stuff, but find that a wiped on coat works well, is much faster, and I don't have to be 'careful'. I just use an old Tee shirt.

I see no problems with durability with the Helmsman. I use the spray on things not fishing rod related and it's great stuff.

Good Luck!

Buddy

p.s., Can't beat Tru Oil for wood or cork.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 12:30PM

Buddy
That White blank I sprayed with it yesterday came out nice. I did not really sand it well just washed it and ran a ruff scoff pad over it. Layed out pretty well. I was just worrying about durability. I always try to get the sun light to hit it so I can see if it is wet and leveling, darker colors are easer to see. White is a " Used Car Color " car dealers use it cause it is hard to see bad body work with it on cars.

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 01:28AM

have used the spar on several rods that i have built for myself and the wife
wont use it any more
it works well on wood but it chips to easy on the rod
after very few trips out i noticed several chips in the finish just from light bumps against the side of the
boat
might consider using somthing else
good luck
david

Posted by: vicki (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:46PM

what happens if you use this spray on a painted smooth wood surface?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster