I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat advice
Posted by: Daniel Rees (---.l1.c6.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:49PM

I bought a Loomis IMX slate 5wt blank a couple of years ago as my first build and know i want to rebuild it because i know I can do a better job. The guide spacing's not too great, neither are the wraps and I also got some epoxy under the reel seat hood!! Not the best of builds but it's caught me plenty of fish! I've got some REC SF recoils spare which I was thinking of using but need to find a suitable reel seat which isn't gonna break the bank as it's only gonna be a back up rod to my Sig V.

Any suggestions on a seat to go on this blank and any advice that will help me remove the old seat and guides very much appreciated.

Thank You.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat advice
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 05:12PM

Daniel,
To remove the reel seat you can either use a dremal tool or what I use is a band saw. I take the rod and place it on the stand and get as close to the blank as I can and start to cut straight down the edge of the blank , make sure you don't cut into the blank. You are cutting the reel seat so you can then take a screw driver and split the reel seat off of the blank. I am assuming you are taking off all of the guides. If you are leaving the guides on the blank then you can just cut the reel seat in half and then cut down the sides of the reel seat and peel it off. Then just slide on the reel seat you are going to use and then splice the rod back together with another blank slipped up inside it. Then glue the reel seat. Now if you have metal parts on the reel seat you will have to use your dremel tool to remove the seat. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at Neal's Fishing Products.

Re: reel seat advice
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 05:14PM

tape up the barrel of the reel seat near the epoxy effected hood and get out an exacto knife and chip away at the offeding epoxy, next time do this within two hours after glue up as the expoy is much easier to deal with before it rocks up, some denatured Alcohol will also help in the post glue up clean up. Watch out removing guides on a matte fin blank its pretty hard to get the old residue off with out leaving a blemish, a rag with denatured wraped around the blank over the old guide placement helps. Now if you used color preserver and a gloss finish blank its much easier to leave things intacted. **Note removing loomis production rod guides is the worse as their thread epoxy is rock, they must not use CP. I only did this once.... ONCE, I avoid it now and certainly would not adjust the spacing afterward

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster