I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I have 57" from tip to intersection - how many more guides?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 06:46PM

In the New Concept Guide primer, the photo shows 3 guides from butt to intersection. I suppose a larger reel might have 4 total, I'm not sure. However, on my 11'4" 2 pc GLoomis blank, I have a total of 57" from the tip to the intersection guide.

If I allow for 9 guides, which is 10 spaces averaging 5.7" between each guide, that would give me an approximate total of at least 12 guides overall. And I'm sure the guides closer to the tip might be less than 5.7" and ones just ahead of the intersection could exceed the 5.7", but not sure if it will fill out the 57" smoothly. I will be using the Fuji TYSG/TLSG Titanium Concept guides to save weight.

I know to use the staic test to see what the blank tells me but since I don't speak graphite very well, I was wondering what the "ballpark" number of guides would be for an 11'4" 3/8oz-3/4oz spinning rod - 12 -13 -14? I don't want the fish to laugh at me for having too many guides on my rod. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I have 57" from tip to intersection - how many more guides?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:26PM

12 guides is not out of line. I'd just tape some on in that area past the intersection and on to the tip and do a static test. You sound like you have a pretty good grasp of what you're after, so I'd trust your instincts and just go ahead with the static placement of those guides between the intersect point and the tip.

Posted by: Jimmy R. Baker (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:36PM

Tim,
I just put together my first rod. It is a Rainshadow 1384(11.5 ft, 3/16-3/8 oz., 4-10 lb line). I test cast it last night and I was very pleased with the results. Here are the numbers and guide spacing I used:

Center of reel spool to intersect guide 53 1/4"
Intersect guide to tip top 70 1/8"

Guide Spacing:

Tip top
#1 71/4" BFHG 6
#2 14 7/8" "
#3 23" "
#4 31 9/16" "
#5 40 9/16" "
#6 49 15/16" "
#7 59 13/16" "
#8 70 1/8" "
#9 80 7/8" BSVHG 10
#10 92" " 20
#11 103 5/8" " 30
#10 92"

When I did the static test I moved 2 guides less than a 1/4". I hope this helps, just remember, ymmv.

Jimmy

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:37PM

Tim,
It seems to me that you are speaking graphite pretty well. Certainly well enough that the fish will not laugh at you. The old rule of thumb that has been around a long time and I think is still a pretty good place to start is one guide per foot, so with that 11' 4" rod a place to start is 11 to 12 guides. Your spacing does sound a little strange to me though with, if I understand, there not being much difference between the spacing at the tip and near the butt. I don't know about the rod that you are building but with most rods the spacing will work out so that the distance between guides is at least twice as long at the butt as it is at the tip. A fast action rod will have shorter spacing at the tip but longer at the butt while a slower action rod will have a bit longer spacing at the tip but shorter at the butt than the faster action rod. However, if you will use the static method described in the Library section above it will assist you with all of that.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:40PM

Tom & Jimmy,
We must have all been typing at the same time.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 26, 2006 08:41PM

For an 11'4" (3/8oz-3/4oz spinning rod) G.Loomis, 2-pc.

What are you other fixed positions?

REEL-SPOOL from ROD-TIP:

REEL-SPOOL to BUTT-GUIDE:

BUTT-GUIDE to INTERSECT POINT:

USING 9 GUIDES, from Intersect Point (IP) to Tip-Top, consider:

DISTANCE FROM TIP: (IP)-57, 50, 43, 37, 31, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, (TIP-TOP) inches

INTERVAL (BUTT to TIP): 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, (TIP-TOP) inches

Ferrule Position (~68" from ROD-TIP) may effect positions above.

Guestimates for the other guides: (57), 66, 77, 90-butt
Uses 13 Guides TOTAL for this 136" (11'4") Spinnning Rod.

BUTT-CAP to ROD-TIP: 136"

REEL-SPOOL to BUTT-CAP: ~20"

REEL-SPOOL from ROD-TIP: 114-118"

REEL-SPOOL to BUTT-GUIDE: 24-28"

BUTT-GUIDE to ROD-TIP: 90"

This array of distances & intervals is intended more as an example of a decision- making pattern than as a layout to be followed, per se. The size of the guides will also effect the location.

Without seeing the flexion, it's only half the solution.

Thanks for an interesting question. I'll be interested in hearing what you may decide for your layout. Good luck & Good night, Tim. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:21PM

According to Tom's book a good starting point for number of guides needed is 1 for every foot of rod length + 1 and the tip top. That's what I use, then static and test cast / adjust.

Thanks Cliff!!!

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2006 07:31PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 29, 2006 05:51PM

Never mind, Bill Bartlett corrected
his typographical error. ... CMH+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2006 08:23PM by Cliff Hall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster