I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FLY/SPIN ROD
Posted by: JAMES FOWLER (---.nas2.spartanburg2.sc.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:37PM

I'M LOOKING TO BUILD A SMALL FLY SPIN ROD. MAYBE 6'6" TO 7' 4 OR 5WT.
I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF YOU GUYS HAVE TO BUILT ONE? I LOOKING TO USE IT FOR TROUT, SUNFISH, AND CRAPPIE. I CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST LENTH AND WEIGHT PLUS THE TYPE OF GUIDES TO USE?I'M GOING TO USE A TENN HANDLE AND PROBOBLY A IM7 ROD, BUT I'M OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS. SO FEEL FREE TO DROP YOUR 2 CENTS.

THANKS,
JAMES FOWLER

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLY/SPIN ROD
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 06:34PM

Hi James,
Take a look at my Spin/Fly rod in my gallery on the photo board.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I used a 4wt. 4 piece blank, Recoil spinning guides for the stripper
and tamer then recoil snakes and fly tip top. I use a standard 15mm spinning seat as some fly seats will not accept a spinning reel
but the spin seat will accept a fly reel. There are a 2" fighting butt and a 7" spinning extention for the handle.
If I were to build another one I would probably use a long Tennesee type handle instead.

Feel free to email me! OK?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2006 06:35PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 08:52AM

Just finished a fly/spin combo similar in configuration to Ray's. This one is a bamboo with a reversable handle. I had an unknown 2 piece bamboo blank from an old rod taken on a deal for another bamboo rod. The mid section and tip section seemed unsuitable for an ultra light fly rod and only had one tip section, It ocurred to me that I could do a combo rod as it has a little more backbone in the mid section. I use Fugi graphite rings and a light pine wood handle with an extended butt of cork. I ferruled the rod at the bottom of the foregrip and put a matching female ferrule in the end of the reel seat. The extended butt had the male end of the ferrule on it. The top of the handle had a matching female ferrule in it and came up tight against the foregrip. By reversing the handle and extended butt you have a fly rod with a full wells grip or a spinning rod grip. I used the lightweight Berkley spin eyes and an old fly tip with an agate insert to finish it off. I'll post pictures in the photo section if anyone is interested.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 09:00AM

I built one, and love it for small mouth also, its a 2 piece, 4wt Croix SCII 7'-6" that I lengthened to 7'-9" (I also made one in a 6 wt and there is not alot of Diff in the SCII 4 or 6 wt. in the 7'-6" length). I put on a split grip and reversed the reel seat orientation to be a down locking seat just to have as much business end as possible, thats why the additional length the seat sits very near the end of the blank and the rear grip is added on. I put two gudes on the butt section and 7 on the tip section to istribute the load more evenly, I used alconite concept spinning guides; starting at a size 25 BLYG then going down to their BLAG size 6mm and matching 6mm tip. I spaced the guides such that if you had the rod strung up with a lure attached, and broken down in half for transport, with the tip section mated next to the butt section. The frailer tip section is shorter than the butt section on either end and protects it. This is also why I added some lngth ..to accomodate this rigged transport mode.. This is one of my funnest rods to fish.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 12:46PM

I've built several fly/spin combination rods. I've ordered a Matrix 6'6" 2 wt. to build as a Fly/Spin combo when it gets here. I used an 8 in. cork & rings spinning seat/handle and added 8 cork rings (4 in.) to the center to make the grip long enough to put a fly reel on thr rear and have a long enough front area to use as a fly grip. I sanded the rear of the grip thicker so the fly reel foot fits tightly under the .92 in. diameter rings and to make the spinning reel foot fit in it's position. Basically it just looks like a long cork & rings seat (12 in.) I use Fuji B/CYAG spinning guides from the butt/stripping guide to the choke guide, then B/CLAG #6 fly guides to and in a few instances, (5 out of 8), for the tip. I place the butt/stripping guide and the other B/CLAG guides where they fit with the Concept system and the rest by Static Deflection. The one I made for myself is a 7 1/2 ft. 4 wt 2 pc. Ralph.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:11PM

I like the Berkley SS304 guides, especially for light weight stuff. I do mostly bass rods and I like em so much that a customer is gonna have to specifically ask for something else in order to get them...What can I say ? I like them...

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster