I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat materials
Posted by: Eijiro Kawada (---.thenewstribune.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 04:23PM

Why are fly reel seats usually made of aluminum, titanium or other metal? And why are spinning and bait reel seats generally made of graphite?
Where can I find bait reel seats made of aluminum or other metal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat materials
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:06PM

IMHO the fly seats are not touched except for reel attachment - detachment so don't have to be comfortable in your hand.
Metal is shinny, pretty, and is traditional. Spinning and casting seats have to be comfortable to hold and not to hot or to cold.
Metal casting seats are usually "new old stock" except for some very heavy salt water applications.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:39PM

Lakeland makes a metal reelseat with a trigger. I think the smallest one was somewhere in the 18 mm range.Mudhole I think has them.
There used to be some 16 mm wood trigger reelseats available from Pac Bay, Custom Tackle tells me they are out of them. I have only a few left. There is one being custom built by one of our posters that I've seen in the photo section a few times.
Metal reelseats and cold weather can be a miserable combination.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.195.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 06:56PM

i think ray's part right. fly reel seats are made of pretty metal because of tradition. the metal itself is often chosen to compliment the rest of the rod. at least as a beginning rod wrapper, i often consider the reel seat its insert and hardware as much as the blank itself. other rods... and i'm guessing here, other rods are made to simply fish. both fish well, but i don't think the others are as stuck to the traditional aspect as fly rods are. they look good too, and look "right" for their uses.

ok, not meant as a definitive answer on my part, but perhaps as a germ of an answer. anyone want to further this thought or counter it?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.7.70.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:05PM

Hello Eijiro,
Raymond is quite correct about not touching the reel seat in fly fishing (in general). However, in times past spinning and casting reel seats were made of a variety of metals (anodized aluminum, Chrome plated brass, chromium plated steel and so forth), but mostly we see graphite spiinig and casting reel seats today. Those who fish in very cold weather feel the graphite reel seats feel warmer. I think that Tom Kirkman also said he thought graphite reel seats also held the reel more securely. I still prefer the metal reel seats for spinning. I have yet to have a reel come loose (maybe I don't catch large enough fish).

Pacific Bay make some all aluminum reel seats. I think that you could probably use an oversized fly reel seat. I suspect that the A9 or A-8 reel seats made by Batson, Pacific Bay, and American tackle might be large enough to hold a spinning or casting reel and you can get those reel seats with a variety of finishes and inserts.

There is also the question of aesthetics. I personally find the graphite reel seats to be ugly. As such I try to use metal reel seats as much as possible. This is only a personal choice. I also prefer to not fish when the temperature is below 32 F, so I don't have a problem with the coldness.

Besides the companies mentioned above, you might look and REC, Bellinger, and Struble. They are a bit pricier, but are of excellent quality. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster