I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More Spiral Wrap Questions
Posted by: Jim Pizzale (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:23PM

Did some spiral guide placement tests tonight on my Seeker IGFA20 Trolling rods, and it seemed the best "straight line" under load was 15, 40, 120, 180 degrees. Distance from stripper to 180 degree guide is 19". Seems a bit different than what I've been reading, but I have to say after trying about a zillion combinations, and different size guides, this one just "looks right". And feels really stable, smooth line, no angles, almost no side pressure on offset guides at all. All guides held on by elastic tubing, and they don't budge when I load the pole, other than the stripper wanting to rotate a bit further to about 40 degrees. Should I be trying something else that I'm missing or does this sound reasonable? Disadvantages to starting out at 15 degrees? Thanks......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 11:26PM by Jim Pizzale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More Spiral Wrap Questions
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:30PM

Since i got turned onto spiral wraps that is all I do on my Halibut rods. My boat captains love them. So I know what you mean Jim. I am waiting for summer to see how they work on the big Halibut out of Valdez.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ont)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:41PM

Hey Jim, I would do a search on the bumper guide spiral(Acid) wrap. Much simpler to set up with the same great out come of stability under a load! Since I have tried it, there is no turning back. the only way to wrap spiral (Acid) rods!!
Aloha,
Jim

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 06:30AM

Hi Jim .I spiral wrap using just about the same degree setup as you .I've tried the "bumper wrap system" and always have trouble keeping the line away from the blank. To date I have no problems from the first guide being offset slightly
Ken Blevins

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2006 08:51AM

If there are no side loads on the transition guides, then you really don't need them, now do you? On the Simple Spiral Bumper wrap, only one guide is placed anywhere other than the 0 or 180 axis and it is there soley to prevent line rub against the blank between the butt (0 degree) guide and first 180 degree guide.

Having said that, I also need to say that there are many good spiral wrap systems out and around. If what you've come up with seems to work smoothly, then there's little reason not to go with it.

Offsetting the butt guide is something that a lot of builders do. The only possibly downside is uneven line stacking when retrieving certain lures with levelwind reels. All I can advise you to do in this respect is to go out and do some casting and retrieving of a hard running crankbait or similar and see what happens. If you don't plan to use that sort of tackle when fishing, then it's really a mute point.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 26, 2006 10:26AM

"The SIMPLE SPIRAL WRAP: The BUMPER SYSTEM"
Author: William "Bill" Colby [RMM-8(2)], with Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine Volume-8, Issue #2, pages 16-17
Back issues ($7 each) available at www.rodmakermagazine.com

The 2 photographs and the 2 illustrations tell it all, and they clarify much of the confusion of the earlier Posts made before Colby's Article in RMM-8(2) was widely available to most subscribers of RMM. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Jim Pizzale (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 12:54PM

Thanks to all that responded. Really helps to "talk" to someone about this, as it's my first spiral. Thanks for all the ideas. I have to say the spiral stuff has me pretty excited. It really does make sense, and seeing my mock up last night confirmed the concept and sold me on it. Now to try on a fish!
Poles will be used with non-level winds, and mostly trolling, so casting/uneven line stacking won't be an issue.

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:17PM

I'm starting my first bumper wrap and so far it is working fine for me.
It's on a CGX90H Lamiglas, can't wait to use it on Sturgeon in the Columbia
this spring.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster