I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

not happy with clearity on bamboo wraps
Posted by: Tracy Kennerd (---.bigpipeinc.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 01:45PM

I put Duragloss over Gudbrod white silk and initially it looked fantastic but as it dried small bubbles formed. The next day a second coat helped somewhat but I am not happy with the results so far. Should I keep going? If I have to start over how do I get the Duraglass off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: not happy with clearity on bamboo wraps
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.102.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:57PM

Were you looking for a translucent wrap? Why white silk? Usually white is used for repair wraps when needed, or for a spacer wrap.

An alcohol lamp would have taken care of the bubbles on the 1st go - a - round... a little late now with the 2nd coat.

You can email me privately if you wish and let me know what you were trying to do with the white wrap, maybe I can suggest something. The translucent wraps are easy if done properly.

Hope this helps.

Art.

mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:43PM

Tracy,
The air under the wraps probably didn't work out of the finish before it set up. I usually hit everything with a coat of Permagloss first to remove the air and seal everything if I'm not using color perserver and I want translucent threads.

Posted by: Tracy Kennerd (---.bigpipeinc.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 05:14PM

Yes I was going for translucent wraps. I thought white was what you are supposed to use. I do not plan (so far) on working with bamboo too much so I am not going to buy a book just yet. Could some one please explain the best way to get translucent wraps?

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 06:56PM

i have wrapped a few bamboo rods and on some have gone for transluscent wraps. getting them is the bugaboo of most bamboo rod makers. the finish of choice is spar varnish. if you contact golden witch (a sponsor) they have some varnishes that will help you get there. it involves a first coat with a very slow drying varnish that probably has polymerized walnut oil in it. this is applied and it basically does not dry fully. it completely penitrates the thread. one trick is to put it on and then with some pressure. squeegy it off with a finger tip. this drives out microbubbles. you then follow that with another thin coat. before it is dry ( as i said it won't dry fully) you then apply a top coat on the wrap of marine spar. you should now have a clear wrap. the marine spar will kick the walnut oil varnish and the whole thing will dry. some of the bamboo guys also use true oil for this first coat doing the finger thing. but, before it dries completely put on another coat of marine spar. i have had some good results with this and some not so good. there are 47 different ways guys do this. another method is a first coat of flex coat thinned 25% with acetone. apply it heavy so it soaks in well then do the finger thing. let it set over night and follow with marine spar. it is important that you not wrap with too much tension. if you do the varnishes won't penitrate well.

good luck.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 26, 2006 01:53AM

translucent? do you mean transparent? transparent is clear/see-through. translucent would have a frosted/diffused look i'd guess.

it is often written that white silk is used for transparent wraps.

eric
fresno, ca.
who hasn't tried white silk yet, but reads a lot of web discussions

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.146.93.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 05:58AM

Appling the finish from the point of the foot to the guide will help "drive" out the bubbles trapped under the foot.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 10:38AM

The goodbrod silk is 00 diameter. For really clear/transparent wraps you should use Pearsalls Gossamer silk, which is 6/0 diameter. You can make the guides appear to just be sitting on the blank. That is a clear wrap. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster