I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More Questions - Ultra Lite Spinning Blanks
Posted by: James Willoughby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:55AM

Alright after alot of consideration I have made a decsion on what kinds of rods I would like to build. These will be my first rods and I am looking for insight and ideas, as well as opinions.

I have done alot of study and reading and have purchased a couple books on rod building. One by Tom Kirkman is very helpful. Here is what I would like to build. Also, I am going to attempt to use the new concept guide system.

The blanks needed ...

1 - 6'
1 - 6'6"
1 - 7'
They are to be ... Ultra Lite,
Fast action [I'm having a little difficulty finding fast action],
2-4 lb line and I will be using ultra lite reels,
Also, I only want "1 piece" setups

The rods will be used for bluegills, crappie, small bass, maybe some trout. I will ask about grips and reel seats later.

Could some of you direct me to some blanks [especially fast actions ones]. Also, possibly the guides you would use?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More Questions - Ultra Lite Spinning Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:11PM

I'll defer to others on favorite blanks but wanted to throw this out - it's hard to find true fast action UL blanks. Most are quite moderate if not downright slow. Many flex all the way into the handle area even with a very light load. So...

I normally buy shorter UL blanks and extend them from the butt end. This pushes the action farther up and makes it faster, with a bit more power in the mid and butt area. You retain the ability to throw very light lures, but keep or increase the power down low.

If you're very new to rod building, extending a blank may be more than you want to tackle,but it's really not hard. You can refer to the volume 6 #3 isue of RodMaker for detailed "how-to." I think it's one of the most valuable pieces of information I've ever publlished.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:05PM

My favorite is the Batson Rainshadow IP 840. I got several from Fishsticks4U a couple of weeks ago. They had some real good deals on several of the Batson Rainshadow series. I have also built a few at 6.5 ft. All good rods at reasonable prices. I have gotten some from other sponsors. Best prices to be had are at the Charlotte Show!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Dan Fidonik (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:46PM

Hello, I am new to the craft and this board and let me just say quickly how impressed I am with the people on this board and the depth of knowledge available. James, check out the St. Croix's. they have the blank weights and actions you are looking for. I am currently building my first rod on a St.Croix and I own many of their factory rods and they are definitly worth the money.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:28PM

James, look at the SCIII series blanks and the SCV series of St Croix blanks, I have built several of each and am well satisfied with the actions, as was mentioned before, it is hard to find true fast action ultra-lite blanks, but the two I mentioned, the SCIII in a 6 foot, 1 piece is a very nice blank, matte finish, and the SCV in the 5'9" is an excellent choice, I feel that tends to meet the fast action description more than a lot of blanks out there. I also like the Rainshadow RX7 series in the ultra lite 6', but refrain from a lot of use, simply because of the large butt end of .500 and it really requires a large hole in cork, and also with the larger size butt, I feel that the sidewalls are somewhat thinner. The SCIII runs about 60.00, and the SCV runs about 85.00, and the RX7 in the 45.00 range, depending on the dealer and possible discounts. I know that there a lot of nice blanks out there from other companies, but I have not had much experience with them. Just my opinion. Galen Briese

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.health.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:38PM

James,

I bought a St. Croix SCiV 1 pc 6 foot spin blank that might be what you are interested in. It has a fairly fast action but is rated for an 1/8 th ounce lure which is, in my opinion anyway, on the heavy side of ultra-light. Stil it seems to handle the really small lures so you might consider it. Very nice blank regardless. I am building a 6' Rainforest UL blank but I would have to agree to what Tom says about ultra-lights as it is definately not fast but it is truly suited for 1/32nd ounce lures and two pound test line. It might really be an easy decision though, just build several.LOL
Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 04:52PM

i understand that andy just aquired several close out blanks from all star. he may have something you might be interested in at real good prices. check with him at lamar mfg.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:45PM

have you tried any of the cabela's blanks.

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:16PM

hey tom,
i was wondering about extending a butt section of a rod i am building, and would like more info on it. can i access your how to article in the library, or will i have to purchase the vol.6-3 magazine?

Date: January 25, 2006 05:17PM

I have not tries any of cabela's blanks but I am open. The St. Croix rods seem really good. I am just trying to get some ideas from others. Another question I had from whomever out there was, is silk thread only to be used for fly rod blanks? I always wanted to know that.

Date: January 25, 2006 05:21PM

I see all the "complete how to guide aritcles listed above in the banner. I see no How to build an ultra lite. Does any know of an article?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster