I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Labeling rods or not
Posted by: Michael Markey (12.178.27.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:51AM

I am somewhat new to rod building (a little more than a year). Although I have built several rods, I have not used the manufacturers label on any of the rods. I label the rods with weight and length info and my name as builder.

Am I making a mistake by not using the manufacturers label? Is this going to void the warranty? I don't see too many custom built rods carrying the manufacturers label.

What is the standard or is there one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Labeling rods or not
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:22AM

Keep the label or give it to the customer. In case of warranty return, just include the label at that time. You don't have to put it on the rod but it is wise to hang onto it just in case.

I would always create a file for each customer and put the blank labels into that file with the work sheet for each rod built. If I needed it for any purpose at a later date, it was in the file with the work sheet for that rod.

Posted by: Michael Markey (12.178.27.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:39AM

Thanks Tom

That's pretty much what I've been doing.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:39AM

I do like Tom, I don't use manufacturer's label. The way I look at it is, they didn't build the rod, I did. I don't think that their label is any more necessary that any other componnts ID. Just my opinion

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 24, 2006 11:47AM

Let me toss one caveat out there, and I'm not sure it's something most custom rod builders really have to worry over, but it is a fact that we at least need to be aware of.

Most manufacturers carry product liability insurance. They have to do this for any number of reasons, one being that if a blank was to break or fail and somehow, someway, somebody got injured and decided that it was the manufacturer's fault, well... You know the rest. So manufacturers need this protection.

Now if that factory decal or label is applied to the rod you build, then the manufacturer's product liability insurance remains in effect for that blank. However, if you do not install that label and instead apply a label of your own (i.e. Joe's Custom Rods) then any liability arising from such a scenario is upon Joe's Custom Rods. You may fall back upon said manufacturer, but as a product of Joe's Custom Rods you would most likely also be named in any such suit. If however, the manufacturer's label is on the rod, it is almost automatic that any such suit would be filed against the blank manufacturer.

Please feel free to discuss this with your attorney and don't get carried away with worry over such a situation arising - it would be rare indeed. But do be aware that it is one of the ramifications of either using or not using the manufacturer's product decal/label. I've been down this road.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:00PM

If a customer is paying for a high end blank , a certain amount of prestige goes with a mfg's name and he also paid a certain amount of mark-up just for the name alone. So I proudly place a mfg label where it can be readily seen by all, I didn't roll the blank, I just engineered the odds bits better than the mfg production rods can be assembled. I make them sharp enough for others to ask and inquire not only who made the blank, but look to the finer print about who built the weapon.

I take the opprotunity of using the other side of the MFG label area for other pertinent details, I even seek to longate this label area with the introduction of the appropriate fish decal of the owners choosing. This extended label area leaves backside room for the owners name, date, (mfg blank designation, blank spec's if not on the pre-printed label) and most importantly who the rod was engineered by. I often find other lables and or additions to place in the label area that reflect the personality of the client

I have no problem giving credit where credit is due, despite the warranty issues made clearer by having the mfg label upon the rod. I have a form letter type of work sheet I use to take down the building details and components with measurements to encorporate into the rod... if the client is left or right handed so I can place the tread pulls out of sight, and the preferred orientation of the hook keeper, situated such that it book endeds one side of the label area. To me the layout of the label area a very important detail and one the client or others, sees the closest .

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 04:16PM

Ive seen some builders apply the label under the grip so it is on the rod but out of sight.If the blank were to br sent back the grip was removed to expose the lable.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 05:44PM

We obviosly want the label on the Built rod as it is advertizing, but most custom rodbuilders do not put them on for a number of reasons. I suggest that if they do not add the decal, that they affix it to the warranty card. This way if for some reason they need to use the warranty we can identify the blank for replacement. If you ever have any questions in regards to our product line please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for your support
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Mark Fisher (210.84.41.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 07:03PM

If the manufacturers labelling of their blanks was such a big deal, why is it that so many top line blanks do not come with a label? I will not get into naming those particular brands of blanks but it is very common that no label is supplied. This applies to many of the so called "name brands". Another point is that some manufacturers preposition their labels in areas where they must be aware that the builder would be forced to remove it or build over it. Again, whats the point of this type of labelling?

Two manufacterers I will name that DO supply water slide decals are Lamiglas and GLoomis. Most of my customers who order one of these blanks want the decal included on the rod to show it is an authentic "brand" name blank.

Date: January 24, 2006 07:52PM

Mark,

What companies do not supply a label or decal with their blanks?

Some manufacturers prefer to screen print the nomenclature on the blank. It just makes it harder to pass off a fake if this info is normally printed on there by the manufacturer. I agree that they're often in a bad location for custom work, but are generally placed where they are because it suits where the factory locates their handle components.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:42PM

Michael,
I agree with Chris Karp 1000%
I always use any Mfg. lables when ever possible and practicle and if I don't have one and can be 100%
about the Mfg. that made the blank I will create my own way of putting that ID on the rod or at least
acknowlage the Mfg. on the spec. card that goes with the rod!

Bill,
I am very proud to putt your lables on the rods I build with your blanks!! A very fine product, priced great,
and I believe they also impress the end users who have never heard of RainShadow enough to proove
to them that I know what I am doing when creating a fine rod!

Thanks Tom,
I never looked at it that way but you are right on the money!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 25, 2006 06:08PM

Tom

I am a little hesitant about naming particular companies who have not supplied labels but here goes. You can always "moderate" this reply if you feel it is a little overboard.

In the last couple of years I have built on AMTAC ( Elite and Matrix), PacBay, CTS, Sabre and Speed Samurai (Australian) and others that don't come immediately to mind which have not supplied decals. The Speed Samurai blanks do come with a label but it is always positioned immediately where the handles are sited. The other blanks have all come in their plastic bags with header tags but no decals supplied. I have no hesitation afixing the company decal to their rods when it is provided. I have already mentioned GLoomis and Lamiglas who always supply their decals with the blanks. The majority of my customers want to show off their custom built "name" rod. I did buy some of the Cascade blanks from Mudhole during their close out sale. I did not expect decals to be suplied with these and this was the case.

Best Regards
Mark

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 10:56AM

For me, the issue is asethics. I like the nice, discrete label from Lamiglass, I can't stand the rather ugly label from St. Croix, I haven't used a G Loomis blank yet. For the rod's I've built on St. Croix blanks I have labels made that includes the blank information. In getting the label made I include the blank purchase information to avoid copyright problems. I wish all blank manufacturers would include a decent decal like Lamiglass that we can choose to use or not.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:44AM

My only problem (and the addition of the Alps printer solved it) was that the decals provided are one color where the other decals used in the rod's color scheme might be another (gold, silver). When they didn't agree, I didn't use them and wrote the info on. Now, I just make one with the identical info in the proper color.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster