I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow RX-7-- opinions
Posted by: Joe Woolums (12.169.49.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:13AM

Wanted to know how this blank stacked up for sensitivity and lightness vs. other blanks. I have also heard that Rainshadow will introduce a RX 8+ this spring. I am planning on making a couple of rods for jig/worm fishing and was wondering if should go ahead with the RX-7 or wait for the RX-8+ blanks to come out. All opinions welcomed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow RX-7-- opinions
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:17AM

If sensitivity and lightness are your only requirements you can wait forever and someone will always advertise that tomorrows will be lighter and more sensitive that what is available. If you want a fine blank that is designed for the thing you want you will find it in the line you are thinking about.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:21PM

I use the RX7 line up a lot for baitcasting, spinning and fly - imo, a great combination of consistent quality, properties (e.g., weight, action options), durability and price. I will say like a lot of others here, that there are a lot of blanks now that meet this criteria, so I also have an additional one - it's carried by one of the sponsors with whom I've built a trusted and fun relationship. Dealer service goes a long way for me. And, imo, this series, along with similiar ones from other manufacturers, can be built into a high performing finished rod - light and sensitive - by using some very basic design ideas discussed here on the board - split grips, light components, guide numbers and placement, carefull attention to wrap length and finish, etc.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 05:02PM

Joe,

This is one of my "buttons". Thousands upon thousands of fish have been caught using RX7 (IM7) graphite. Remember, just a few years ago, RX7 (IM7) was IT -- the greatest thing to come along EVER. Fish haven't changed in millions of years, so they don't know the difference between RX7 and RX8..

Jim

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 08:11PM

The RX7's are terrific blanks.

'nuff said...

Keith

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 08:53PM

Joe, the RX8+ is available now but only in the 4 and 5 pc fly blanks. They are incredible blanks for the price. The last time I talked to the guys at Batson, they didn't have any immediate plans to offer it in any different models. For fly rods, there is a definate difference between the different graphite formulas. While the RX8 may not be better for all fly casters, it will perform better for others. Just as the RX7 action will work better for someone else. I built an RX8 for a buddy who is one of the best fly casters that I know. Watching him was pretty impressive. For me, the RX7 action works a little better. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff Hunter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster