I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept unfriendly reel
Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:51PM

I set out tonight to do my first Concept guide placement on a 8 1/2 foot med power steelhead spinning rod (1024). I was intending to use an older (I'm guessing 10 yrs), barely used Abu Garcia model 1305F reel. The angle of the spool spindle relative to horizontal looks to be 10 to 15 degrees...seems to me I read somewhere that the industry standard now is 4 degrees, about what my recently purchased--but much smaller-- Shimano Sedona spinning reel appears to be. The intercept of the blank to table edge is a whopping 22 inches from the front of the spool spindle. Has spinning reel manufacturing changed that much in the last decade? I don't see any way to apply the concept system with this reel. I can obviously use static guide placement if I decide to go ahead and use the reel...but should I retire it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept unfriendly reel
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 24, 2006 01:11AM

In fact, the reel upsweep angle is just a convenience. (Almost any reel will do.) There are many citations to back this up. My favorite has to be this thread. I Replied next and Posted ~ a dozen citations on this subject. That should round out all the views and concerns that are inevitable when the reel & rod don't seem to match, or the Intersect Point is out in La-La land somewhere. That's when it's time to extract the principles of the Intersect Method - which are quite sound - and apply them in a way that overrides the reel-rod-method inconsistencies.

Re: Uplifted / angled reels Tom Kirkman (Moderator) 12-03-05 04:58PM [www.rodbuilding.org] Yes, many of us have experimented with creating artificial choke points closer to the reel by shimming the seats so that the reel had more upsweep. You will find that it makes almost no difference as reel spool upsweep makes little to no difference anyway. It's a convenient means for locating the choke or intersect guide, ... etc." -TK

Re: Uplifted / angled reels Cliff Hall 12-03-0505 05:21PM
[www.rodbuilding.org] To Rob Heaton - the reel's upsweep angle has very little effect on all this. This is a bit of a can of worms. See for yourself. -Cliff Hall+++

To Patrick Heintz - Bend the rod off the table, and see where the rod bends a lot. On such a long rod, and a steelhead taper, that may be hard to localize. You may just need to try a butt guide location (~27"?) and then string the guides in a funnel fashion over the next ~24". This will take you down from a ~30mm ring guide to a ~ 10 mm ring. And then run a very moderately progressive spacing from there forward to the rod tip. Whatever weight-conserving guide styles & ring sizes suites your fancy.

Just think in three zone, three functions. Butt guide catches the line. Middle section funnels it down. Tip section distributes the load over the limber section, nearly equal spacing. Cast test. Static loading. Tweak. Repeat once. Quench your thirst. Record your ring positions and go for it.

IMO, -Cliff Hall++++

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2006 08:53AM

There is no industry standard for spool upsweep angle.

Do this - take another reel with roughly the same spool size (diameter) and height and use that for setting the guide system up. Then juse use your other reel once the rod is finished. It'll cast and fish nicely.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:10AM

Also depending on the type of guide you are going to use. There are three basic types, Fuji concept, all purpose, and " M " guides.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 10:48AM

One of the 1st old school books I read on rod building indicated that to find the 1st guide size and placement you placed the reel in the seat with the spool lined. Oriented the roller guide up at a point it is farthestest away from the blank, then using the natural upsweep of the reel, mimic the downward angle down towards the blank eventually intersecting the blank and locating the choke point/guide, just using the line as a guide as it comes off the line roller, this strung line also located the 1st guide placement and the size the 1st guide will need to be, as the line should just touch the highest point inside the ceramic guide ring. This seemed to allow for the pillowing effect as the line comes off the spool but I imagine it required larger guide rings than common today and in the least high frame guides

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2006 08:43PM

Chris,

The old cone of flight concept has pretty much gone by the wayside in the past decade. It certainly worked, but never was much good at controlling the line. The better idea is not to let the line come off the spool in large coils, but to quickly bring it under control and get it moving out instead of allowing it to continue on in coils.

In addition, the cone of flight method usually required larger guides and as we know, weight is the great enemy of rod efficiency and casting ability. Removing weight from the tip of the rod, such as in the New Guide Concept, allows the imparted energy to go into casting the lure instead of being used in large part, to start and stop the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster